Is the Erbauer biscuit jointer worth getting

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Hi all,

I am making a wall bed with matching his / hers wardrobes with cupboard space & drawers, for the 1st project.

The 2nd project is a floor to ceiling entertainment unit, with many shelves / compartments

Material 19mm ply.

Would this Erbauer biscuit jointer from our hosts, be up to the job.....??

I hope to also be able to use it for future projects, in the not so immediate future.

Also what brand biscuits, do you use / recommend for best results.....??

T.I.A

2. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Personally I would steer well clear of Erbauer tat and invest in a decent router with a biscuit jointing blade; you'll get far more use out of a router.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Erbauer can be good or bad ... I have had a wall chaser for several years and it is fine, certainly good value.

A high end biscuit jointer can cost you £500 - so make your decision on the Erbauer knowing that.

Rob_bv suggests getting a router - it certainly will have many more uses. If you do, then get a Trend biscuit jointing set which has the Arbor, 4mm slotter, three bearings and some spacers - I have had mine for maybe 20 years - with a new slotting blade or two!

As for biscuits - the last lot I bought were from Axminster, box of either 1000 or 2000 size 10 from Lamello who are probably the premier manufacturer. With your plans, think about the larger numbers. http://www.axminster.co.uk/lamello-biscuits-ax21609

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got to agree with Rob, better to get a decent router I say,far more versatility, add in a routing table at a later stage & you'll have decent setup for making our own mouldings,joints,etc.:)
    Biscuits,Lamello are the best from Axminster, one important thing keep them dry, slight dampness & the buggers can swell.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If you are making cupboards and shelves, think about getting a festool TS55 track saw. Not cheap, but what a joy - dead straight, accurate, chip free edges on every panel you cut. I so wish I'd bought one years ago. Nothing else compares.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would have a rethink on how you want to joint the pieces.

If you try and edge join the pieces you will have to get the edges absolutely spot on millimeter perfect, dead straight and chip free. The better option is to use rebates and glue (pin where it won't be seen and to use other mechanical fixings If you look on YouTube good old Norm Abraham has lots of videos on how to do it.

The best way is to cut the rebates with a router. Given the choice I would invest in a good quality router, a track saw like Mr Rusty suggests. You will find more use out of these pieces of kit than a biscuit jointer.

By comparison a good biscuit jointer will cost you a £200 which you could get a decent router and some bits which will get a lot more use

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I got one two weeks ago - the cut edges on ply and mdf are better than the uncut ones and linked to the extraction unit there is next to no dust

8. Welshdragon1

Cheers guys,

In an ideal world, I would love to be able to invest in, the best kit, but sadly, I have a small budget of £100 max, after purchasing the materials. Plus car insurances are due soon.....lol

9. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I used a cheap biscuit joiner bought from Wickes years ago. About £40. Does the job fine. I certainly wouldn't spend lots of money on this tool as it won't get used a lot afterwards. Far easier to use than a router which is bulky and hard to line up. Like you I also made wardrobes and doors. It does require a lot of clamping tools.

if I was doing it again I would probably use a Kreg jig. A lot faster and no clamping needed.

There's loads of videos on YouTube about pocket hole joinery.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Bob lwc - you are going to be pushed to get just the materials for £100 to make " a wall bed with matching his / hers wardrobes with cupboard space & drawers"

11. Welshdragon1

Cheers diy_nixy, I will certainly look into pocket hole joinery.....

@sospan , I already have the materials.....lol, it is the machine I have not got.....pmsl

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Years ago I bought a special offer biscuit jointer off our hosts for a tenner, a Freud, the first time I used it I dropped it, the motor housing broke so I gaffer taped it up, later it got dropped again and the handle broke, yet again it was gaffered up. Still working, still accurate.
    I have a slotter for my routers but that is no good for shelves unless you are using magic wires.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Biscuits ...... Belgian chocolate and hazelnut Boasters for sure, every time, coffee please, strong, no sugar, ta ;)