Is the junction box soon to be a thing of the past?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by frogger, Nov 24, 2014.

1. frogger

frogger Member

I'm starting to wonder if the good old round junction box will still be around in ten years time. Connector boxes and adaptable boxes with wago type connectors seem to be 'muscling in' in place of the junction box more and more as time passes, or am I imagining things? Don't the regs say something about cable having to be secured as well as connected to the terminals?

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

the proper way is to secure all the cables that enter the JB with a cable clip and secure the JB to a surface, but this is never adhered to.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Also it's quite hard to get the top surface to be ip4x if you mount them on walls. I've pretty much stoped using them now.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Wagos are good and easy but they do have derated values, to take into consideration.

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I n some situations the JB is still acceptable.
    However there are many situations where it isn't.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I was a college the tutor showed us a tip. To take of a spur fron a ring for instance the outer sheath of t&e could be carefully remove to 4". Then remove the inner sheath of L and N to about 10mm.

The result is that the cable dosent need to be cut. Simply remove all the brass screws from jb and insert the cable plus the spur. Useful if there isnt any slack on existing cable.

frogger likes this.
  7. frogger

frogger Member

I have a book called Modern Electric Wiring although it's not that modern now as it was published in the 1950s and belonged to my dad. There are junction boxes shown on the diagrams in there so they've been about for a while (not that that's necessarily a bad thing). Interestingly, some junction boxes back then were made by Durex. ;)

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Jitender. Must say I have used the above technique - the only thing I can add is that I sliced some earth sleeving and put it over the bare cpc in the jb - very small tie wraps hold it neatly in place. Green/yellow insulating tape could be used I suppose, but it looks bodgy, and goes gammy and stuff.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes that can be a good way of doing it, I never thought of slitting the earth sleeving JP, another good idea!

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The tutor said it was fine to leave the cpc unsleeved in this scenario.

11. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

That doesn't make much sense. Its still an exposed cpc that should be marked correctly but hey ho

12. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I think it used to be commonpractice to run the CPC around the outside of the JB and just twist all together.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Yes snag 17.

Attached Files:

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes, I've seen lots like that in older installations Spin.

15. frogger

frogger Member

Looking at all the reviews for Wago connectors and Wago boxes on YouTube and so on, I doubt if I'll use JBs again.

16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

JB's will be around for a long time yet at less than a Quid a pop.

U won't get 3/4 Wago's and an enclosure for less than a Quid will ya! :rolleyes:

17. frogger

frogger Member

True, but it is just about money? Personally, I'd sooner pay a bit more for a piece of equipment that's going to be quicker, easier and less fiddly to install. Obviously, if you're talking large numbers of boxes, then cost is going to come into it but for the DIYer that is only installing one or two, I'd opt for the Wago. I replaced two of my house lights that had ceiling rose fittings a while ago and used JBs. I plan to change these JBs to Wagos in the near future and any more jobs I do I will use Wagos. Obviously, I don't expect everyone to concur with what I say or do. Each to his own.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Wagos are brilliant - the only thing to remember is Frog is the ratings, 222's up to 32amp and 773's 24amp.

I used the wrong ones when I modified my extension wiring due to a change of plan (instead of kitchen it is now a living room) I used 773's on the ring and then found out they were only rated at 24amps (I should have used 222's rated at 32amp) the rating is written on the box flipping heck. I dropped the breaker to a 20 and this covers things - in my case there are no high load items on the ring so no probs, if there was a loading prob then a little bit of messing about would result in 2 x 20amp radials but this was not necessary.

I have just used them in a multi gang switch box (nice deep back box) and they are really really good.

Incidentally with the Wago's fitted no anomalies manifested themselves with ref to final continuity test etc.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

24 amps would be ok on a ring circuit JP, remember each leg only carries 16 amps, possibly a bit more if the ring is a bit unbalanced of course but not that much more.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

As for ''is the jb going to be a thing of the past'' - then maybe it will be one day because Wagos in cable clamped box are fantastic tbqh - you don't have to use Wago boxes you can use things like Gripboxes, these are a really excellent box.