Is there any scrap value in cast iron baths

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MJH, Nov 17, 2005.

1. MJH

MJH Member

Only asking because I left a smashed up cast iron bath on a customers lawn and whilst upstairs the local travellers had taken it away, every bit of it. Is it worth anything as scrap?

2. saint dave

saint dave New Member

On its own not a great deal, but added to half a dozen cast boilers, a van load of old rads, and whatever else they get their hand on you can get a reasonable price.
    Personally Im glad if they take my scrap, but not the copper, brass or lead.

3. old cast iron boliers arn't worth anything, so cant imagine the bits of a bath would be... unless they're going to use them to smash their way into your van to pick your tools!

4. harlowboy

harlowboy New Member

bloody do as you likeys.

5. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

they must be worth something, cos whenever i take one out, i text a local scrap man and he comes for it, he will travel up to 10 miles, baths boilers sink tops radiators any cast or steel...and he likes cast baths in tact cos he sells them to posh gits who have them re-enamelled and installed in their ensuits...

6. MJH

MJH Member

what a git of a job trying to get a cast iron bath out and down the stairs without it breaking. Much prefer to give it a good whack with a sledgehammer

7. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

yeah thats so true mjh, but think what a struggle it was for the poor plumber who took it upstairs in the first place..and he would have had to handball it off the horse and cart as the fork lift truck was not then available on site... we don't know we born..

8. MJH

MJH Member

an old plumber was telling me that he use to carry the cast iron bath on his back up the stairs on his own. ** that, I struggle with half a bath, especially the tap end

[Edited by: forum admin]

9. ister

ister New Member

there is a bit of value in them if you do mansge to get them out in one piece,farmers take them off your hands and also i have sold a few to bygone times(reclamation yard) well worth a twinge of the apprentices back!!!!well i got him his dinner for a few days with the proceeds.

10. MJH

MJH Member

ister, what sort of money are we talking, Big Mac or Harrods food hall

11. ister

ister New Member

tried harrods they wouldnt have us so after much deliberation we went to the chippy. i get 20 quid off reclaimers and about 20 -25 off the poor farmer.

12. limestone cowboy

limestone cowboy New Member

I got £100 for mine, but it was in one piece.

13. MJH

MJH Member

£100. must have been to some gullible city boy

14. I feel sorry for the guys when they used to install galvanised cylinders & iron work!