Is this damp?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by peter11041974, Aug 24, 2015.

1. peter11041974

peter11041974 New Member

Hello, can anyone tell me if this is damp (see attachment). I've had 3 damp proofers look at it, 1 said it is damp and needs beading replaced and re plastered at cost of £290 + VAT, other 2 said it's rusted beading. I'm now confused, can anyone help

Cheers

Peter 20150722_193312-1-1.jpg

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Photo not very clear, but rusted beading ?????, beads tend to be galvanised so don't rust, old ones might not have been, so could be rust.

But what causes rust, yes moisture, so either way its could be damp.

3. We really prefer sharp, in-focus photos on here... :rolleyes:

Why would there be beadings in these places? Especially down the LH side of the pic?

The area around the window could be condensation, so not caused by penetrating damp - but very hard to tell from here. The stain down the actual wall, however, is strange. What's on the other side of that wall?

4. Phil the Paver

I took the lhs to be the return of the window reveal, so would have a beading on the corner.

5. Ah - you're right.

Bimey, I thought that was chust a side wall with a damp stain down t'middle... :oops:

6. peter11041974

peter11041974 New Member

The yellow is on walls on either side of window and above window.

7. Phil the Paver

If it was damp of any significance I would have thought the paint would have blistered, unless it has, photo not clear enough.

Have you tried painting a stain blocker on to the walls and then paint them.

8. masterplaster1980

masterplaster1980 New Member

Definitely need a better photo with more of the wall in shot.

9. peter11041974

peter11041974 New Member

20150722_193312.jpg

10. peter11041974

peter11041974 New Member

Thanks for your advice. Paint hasn't blistered. I'll try a stain blocker

Cheers

Peter

11. peter11041974

peter11041974 New Member

Attached Files:

12. peter11041974

peter11041974 New Member

13. masterplaster1980

Is this a velux window or just the angle of the picture?

It does look like the bead is rusting, and that shouldn't happen (they're galvanised and can tolerate wet skim until it dries, but not prolonged moisture). Is this a cavity wall or solid?

14. peter11041974

peter11041974 New Member

The angle of the picture. Not sure if wall is cavity or solid, sorry.

15. masterplaster1980

Okay, is it brick or stone on the exterior? Do you know how old the house is? Is this in a bathroom?

There's obviously something going on there. Painting it might just hide it, not fix it. If it's a bathroom it might simply be poor ventilation and condensations is getting into the plaster and corroding the bead...

16. masterplaster1980

Actually looking again the wall doesn't look thick enough to be stone so I'll assume it's a cavity wall construction. In which case, if this is upstairs (1st floor) it won't be rising damp, it's more likely poor ventilation. As someone else said, prolonged damp will result in blistered paint and eventually mould and efflorescence (salt/powder on walls).

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Was any bitumen type paint applied to the wall prior to plastering? Probably be okay with a couple of coats of stain block such as Zinsser BIN, Zinser Cover Stain etc.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might have used a stainless angle bead instead of a galvinised one.
    Stainless angle bead is only for cement renders, if they used stainless bead & a different metal fixing to attach it, along with the plaster,then you can get Galvanic corrosion, where two metals react to each other, hence the staining.

I don't think Zinser will work in this case, better to replace the angle bead, you can get upvc angle bead, easy job to replace.

19. smooth finish

smooth finish New Member

I think its the bead thats rusting possibly due to moist conditions, try resealing your window on the outside and painting with stain block before removing the bead because it will be cheaper if it works

plasterer doncaster