Is this gas pipe safe?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jack Brown, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Jack Brown

Jack Brown New Member

Never noticed this before but after pulling out tumble dryer it appears that a gas pipe and also a drain pipe are running along the wall towards the boiler. Is this safe? Is this bad workmanship? It's a brand new house and we are covered for bad workmanship so wondering if this is worth mentioning.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Jack.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pretty common today, no thought given to pipe planning.:(

Could box it in, just use gripfill to stick batten to wall, & ply to batten.

Just be careful with appliances like washing machine, they stick out a bit at the back, might ding pipe.

3. Is the "drain pipe" the condensate for the boiler?
    They are not dangerous but I would say very bad planning if it is a new build.
    Is the gas pipe the feed to to the boiler or teed off the boiler to feed something else.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Jack Brown

Jack Brown New Member

I assume it is the condensate, it appears to connect to the waste pipes under the sink.

On 2nd thoughts it looks like it is more likely teed off to provide gas to our hob. Do you think it is worth mentioning to the builders? What is the best practice / regulation or isn't there one? Picture below of under boiler.

[​IMG]

Jack.

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Should perhaps be gas marked

6. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

There is no requirement to mark/identify gas pipes in domestic properties (only commercial). I do put an identifying gas tape on them though, just to make sure peeps are aware what pipe they are dealing with. I'm not sure if that is the condensate pipe (it may well be). Relevant to the gas pipe, it should be lower, not higher. Post 4 shows both pipes at bottom of boiler, so how come it's now higher up than gas pipe? The pipe seems to be adequately supported. Is it sleeved as it passes through wall? I ain't gotta clue

7. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

I have just been informed by my wife that it is a condensate pipe, and she says there is nothing wrong with both pipes!!! Well, if her indoors says so, then I believe her.

8. meady

meady Member

Gas pipe needs to be 150mm from socket

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Bet its not far off that.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I would box the gas pipe to protect it from being bumped and dented etc

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Or just fit some bump stops to the skirting to stop appliance being pushed back to far.

koolpc likes this.
  12. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

It's all perfectly fine.