Is this junction box wired properly??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DanielQ, Oct 16, 2017.

1. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

I had an electricians, or this is what he said, doing some wiring in my house and I don't understand as much of electricity as I would like.

What I want to know if this light junction box is wired correctly or I have to get another electrician to rectify things before I close walls.

Thank you

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      50.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It's probably not as bad as it looks and it does look very bad, this so called electrician takes no pride in his work. Those are Wago connectors which is fine, but if being hidden they need to be maintenance free which means using a Wago box. A half competent DIYer would do a better job.

Was it left like that or have you taken those wires out of the JB?

3. You need to get an Electrician in to repair that and look at any other work he has carried out.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Ooooff what a mess. No way does that comply with 7671. Earths look to be disconnected and the whole thing needs to be in a proper enclosure. If the spark is regested by any minor miracle I would get in touch with his registered body.

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

A bit early to have a Xmas tree isn't it!

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Left in that mess, what is even the point of leaving the enclosure base hanging on in there ?

All the connections are outside the enclosure and there’s no lid ...... and those CPCs ........., Arghhhhhhh

So is this inside a cavity that’s gonna be plasterboarded over and never seen again ?

Was it really and honestly left in that state by a ‘electrician’ ?

It’s a classic case of flick the switch and the lights work so jobs a good un

Sorry I’m only diy but that kind of work is totally disgraceful and pure excrement

Or maybe it’s a piece of modern art or sculpture ?

Either way, that guy ain’t a proper electrician no way - any other work he’s done for you ....... :eek:

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

Only 69 days, 1 hour & so many minutes to Christmas.:)

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep and think how many more quality jobs that ‘electrician’ can do in that time :eek:

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Rough as f@#k just lazy work,get someone else in !

10. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

No strain relief and no conductor identification on what appears to be a switch line.

They are not wagos they are ideal in-sure connectors so they don't need to be installed in a wago box. They should still be installed in a manner that complies with bs60998 if to be installed as maintenance free. The easiest way would be to have the connection enclosed in a line products egg enclosure http://lineproducts.co.uk/LINE_Facts/LINEFeaturesDiagram.jpg

Failing that fit a hager j804...which would be my weapon of choice.

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

....and of course BS 5733
    RS

leesparkykent likes this.
  12. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

That's the one:)

13. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

My first impression was formed by the way the conductors have been bent and deformed, this is usually a result of continuous changing of connections and modifications to 'Make it work'. As regulations require a CPC at every outlet, the CPC in the cable should not be cut off, but they should be sleeved and connected. As others have said, this is a mess and does not comply, red and black should have brown and blue sleeving fitted. Get someone who knows what they are doing to check all of this guys work, I wouldn't trust it.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Wind up..:)

15. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

think so.....but i did manage to slip in the old "and of course BS 5733" to keep Lee on his toes !
    :cool:
    RS

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Lol RS..got to keep the young whippersnappers in check..:)

17. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Do you know it's a finished junction box?

I assume it's got a lid.

Visible terminations at accessories should be colour coded. If it's going to be boarded up they aren't going to visible.

I'd like to see the earth terminated for the light (?) though in that JB though. I imagine it's for a class 2 light (no earth required).

18. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Do the light and switch work?
    I would probably have connected the blue to black and the brown to red on the switch wires, but perhaps it was done that way to make them obvious?