Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Oct 20, 2014.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Dear Forum

I am battling with a nightmare customer (not just me she is the same with every trade) where the latest 'problem' is completely bizarre. I haven't had chance to verify her claim but apparently when she puts her radio on the JCC6 dimmable lights flicker then go off. Now I have learned never to dismiss what a customer says so I am giving her the benefit of the doubt and perhaps she is right. The problem I have is I have never experienced this phenomenon before and I wouldn't have a clue how to go about fixing it. Please can anyone shed any light on this. Perhaps you have had similar issues? Perhaps you are aware of radio interference with LEDs?

Look forward to replies. :) (And NO this is not a wind up it is genuine).

2. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

I've had a few like that (not the radio bit) the problem happens every time, except the time you are there to take a look.. I've know Dimmable LED lamps to interfere with a radio but not the other way around..

Not a lot of help I know..

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi UP

I have seen a similar type of issue with touch lamps. We had one that used to light up when the telephone rang. It only ever happened with the phone, never the fridge stopping and starting or the washing machine etc. Cured it by fitting a surge surpressed plug top.

Kind regards

BS

FatHands likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

She may be a frequent user of a mains powered rabbit which has a fault................
    Just too embarrassed to mention that so she calls it "The Radio"

You never ever know eh :D

It may even be due for its Pat Test.... You up for that Un ??? (yeah yeah I know really N\A on domestic appliances)

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I've sent an enquiry via email to JCC technical support. I'll hopefully receive a definitive explanation.

6. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Odd one ?????????? all things electrical have some sort of emissions I would be more in line with cadds thoughts other way round ????????????? .... Keep us posted

7. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

I can't see how the radio could affect the dimmer, unless its got a dodgy power cable which is arcing (at either of the moulded plug ends, which is not uncommon). See if the sound on the radio crackles when the lights go off - that indicates radio interference happening somewhere.
    I guess she doesn't have a fancy home automation system for the lights! Where its powerline digital dimmers etc. these can get screwed up if you get some faulty appliance creating interference on the mains cabling.

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Had a energy saving lamp a few years ago in my lounge (on ring socket) which when turned on and was running would cause the tv to change channels sometimes.
    My 9 year old noticed it.
    Could the radio be on light circuit?(someone put 13 A socket on lights).
    You can get some odd electromagnetic phenomena.
    Genuine story a few years ago...lady could hear music in her head all the time (light program). Drs said she was mad. Dentist removed faulty filling. Music stopped.
    Apparently 2 odd fillings and saliva had created a simple crystal radio.
    RS

FatHands likes this.
  9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If she using a DAB radio it's not an uncommmon problem, Which covered it a while back, due to a few complaints about them interfering with LEDs.

FatHands likes this.
  10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

you going to have a look at it soon UP, or wait and see what JCC come back with.

I had something similar recently: One of those horrible touch-sensitive dimmers coming on when the freeview box was being used!

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

:( Not looking good for me. This customer is an absolute PITA. She has done nothing but complain all through the project and it is typical that this would add to the misery.

12. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

sorry to hear that mate. were they fitted recently then/you in the middle of doing it now?

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I've been doing some research on this and bizarrely it is usually the other way around ie LEDs interfering with radios and TVs. I am wondering whether it is a cheap radio she is using and its causing interference to the LEDs? Its a puzzle. Either way I cannot see how I can be blamed for this, it is not something I have caused. I am so fed up with this customer I am going to insist on payment to sort it out. I will tell her not to use the radio near the LEDs (that will go down like a lead balloon) and if I need to fit a suppressor or filter of some description I am within my rights to charge her (that too will go down like a lead balloon). On top of this I have the builder on my back to move a the outside light I fitted because the door was delivered hinged on the wrong side and it hits the dammed thing. No mention of cost of course he just expects me to move it. Nightmare job and a half. :(

14. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

I am wondering whether it is a cheap radio she is using and its causing interference to the LEDs? Its a puzzle.
    Either way I cannot see how I can be blamed for this, it is not something I have caused.
    I am going to insist on payment to sort it out.
    if I need to fit a suppressor or filter of some description I am within my rights to charge her
    On top of this I have the builder on my back to move a the outside light I fitted because the door was delivered hinged on the wrong side and it hits the dammed thing. No mention of cost of course he just expects me to move it. Nightmare job and a half. :(

Everyone's after something for nothing, if you've done nothing wrong and I can't see how you could have then tell her the cost, if she pays, do the job like any other, if not, move on, same goes for the builder tell him the cost. I'd bet on it that both the homeowner and builder would tell you to do one, if it where the other way round. I'd be interested to know what's causing it if you ever do find out though.

B J

15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi UP

Have you tried changing the dimmer for a standard switch? If the radio is interfering with the dimmer switch changing it for a straight on/off may clear it and prove the dimmer is at fault.

Kind regards

BS

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

What type of radio is it? A portable type, not a fixed type with a wired aerial to loft? DAB?

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Thanks Bazza, it would be good idea to swap the switch for normal one to see if radio is interfering. At least it will eliminate one or the other.
    Lec I don't know details about the radio. I think its just a portable one. I'm due to visit on Thursday pm.

18. RedTapeDoc

RedTapeDoc New Member

We had a similar problem….We had an electrician come in and fit new LED lights in our office. All went well but after he left and the radio stopped working it took some time to work out the lights were responsible.

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Better watch that the LED system isn't on a cheap remote control(the type that operate accidentally if you even cough).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I have been to the customer tonight and she was correct in that the dimmer is causing strange behavior to the LEDs. The switch I fitted was a Varilight V-Pro 400W (min load 10W). I found that the dimmer was behaving erratically causing the LEDs to cycle through bright and dim without touching the dimmer and when adjacent sockets were switched on the LEDs went out. With a normal rocker switch fitted all is stable. I am trying to get some support from Varilight on this.