Is tile primer suitable for plastering in bathroom?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by gawpertron, Feb 12, 2014.

1. gawpertron

gawpertron New Member

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Not sure i'd risk it mate to be honest. It might seal the wall OK, but what if the plaster reacts to it? I'd get some no nonense PVA and use that.

3. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

If your just skimming the other wall use pva.

If your tiling it and its in a wet area don't use pva. Water 'reactivates' pva so it's not the best thing to use.

pva is cheap as chips anyway do the job properly.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If it's a wet area you should use a waterproof tile board fitted to the plaster board first.

If it's not just tile on to the plaster board.

5. gawpertron

gawpertron New Member

The tiles are around the bath/shower so I guess it will be a wet area. How would you attach the Waterproof Tile Board to the MR Board, screws?

Two of the walls are dot and dab and one is a stud wall.

6. There is no need to use PVA or anything else when you are putting a skim of plaster on plasterboard.

7. Phil the Paver

Stick it on with quick grip or similar, make sure you tape the joints to keep it waterproof.

8. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Are we all talking about the same wall?
    I thought, the op was planning on using the primer on the new boards around the bath. I thought "the other wall" was being re skimmed and he was asking if he could use the primer to seal the existing plaster before he skims it.
    Am I talking about the wrong wall?

9. Phil the Paver

This is a question.

Do you think that primer is good enough around the bath, I don't think it's a waterproofer is it ????.

Skimming the other wall shouldn't need anything should it, just skim straight on to the boards.

10. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

No the question is... "Is the primer suitable for plastering the other side of the bathroom?" He already said he is using the primer to tile round the bath. Is it suitable for plastering the other side of the room? If it's a re skim no use pva. If it's board just skim the board.

11. Phil the Paver

[quote="BuilderMCR, post: 1281574, member:" He already said he is using the primer to tile round the bath. [/quote]

My question was do you think that primer good enough for the tiling area, I'm asking you not questioning you.:)

12. gawpertron

gawpertron New Member

I didn't realise this. Thanks

13. gawpertron

gawpertron New Member

I would like to add to that. Why would it be necessary to use a primer on a surface that is clean and without dust, such as MR Board or Tile Board as to an existing plastered wall?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  14. Phil the Paver

I would like to add to that. Why would it be necessary to use a primer on a surface that is clean and without dust, such as MR Board or Tile Board as to an existing plastered wall?[/quote]

It wouldn't, but you are the one who said you were using it.

15. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

^^^here you say you have plasterboarded using MR board and plan to tile around the bath using the primer.

^^^ Here you say you want to know if the primer is suitable for plastering the opposite side of the bathroom instead of using pva... If it's plasterboard just plaster onto the boards. If you are reskimming use pva.

I'd like to add that your addition
    Contradicts your original question.

16. gawpertron

gawpertron New Member

It may contradict my original question because it was based on the patchy knowledge I had yesterday. Each new answer has changed my understanding of the materials and how best to use them. If I felt I had all the answers I wouldn't have asked an initial question. Its all been very helpful.

17. gawpertron

gawpertron New Member

Makes sense now.

18. gawpertron

gawpertron New Member

This includes if you're going to title as well?