isolate existing socket outlet

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mr Rusty, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Possibly going to have to arrange to modify father in laws house for wheelchair use by adding a downstairs bathroom in the back of what is currently his lounge. Prob be part DIY part contractor. I've started planning what can be done etc ahead of speaking to my builder. One of the issues is that where we might want to install a new shower, there is currently a double socket chased in to the solid walls from above. I don't want to remove it completely because at some point the room will be reinstated back to a lounge.

What is the best way of isolating the socket box. It will probably end up behind a one-piece shower waterproof panel (not tiles).

Options I can see are 1) maybe just put a blanking plate over it with connector block inside and work round it. 2) try and identify from floor above where wiring goes down the wall, and cut/isolate with junction box.

Thoughts?

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Without going to check I'm pretty sure ever if you blanked it off with a plain blanking panel it wouldn't have the right ip rating. You might also need to check that other sockets/equipment are not going to cause a problem since the zones extend beyond the shower, for eg, no sockets allowed within 3m of zone 1. You might also find that supplimenatry bonding is required if the ctt's serving the area where the shower is are not rcd protected.

FatHands likes this.
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As you probably know your option 2 would be the better way to do it but of course it's not always feasible to do things the way we'd like. If that socket is on a ring circuit you will have to connect the cables together to keep the ring intact. As the connections won't be easily accessible crimping or maintenance free connectors such as Wago's would be needed. Be sure to seal around the blanking plate just in case any water gets down there.

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thanks. useful pointers. I won't be doing this myself - will definitely get a qualified sparks. I may DIY my own place, but I don't DIY electrics for anyone else. Just wanted to get some thoughts so I know what possible options and issues are.

One question from the link above - it says "all circuits on RCD". I am fairly certain (but need to check) that it is a split CU with only 1 RCD and lights aren't on the RCD at the moment (including in existing bath/shower upstairs where they aren't even IP rated lights......). On the basis that this won't add any new circuits, will the CU need changing if the lounge lighting circuit is split to e.g. put a new light in the divided off bathroom.

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Depending on what is the other side of the wall you could put a socket on the other side, slightly hiher so the cables reach.

Kind regards

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

The cables could then be outside the safe zone Bazza!

8. Bazza-spark

Shouldn't be Sen. If they are coming down the wall and the lounge is the other side of the wall then drilling through and fitting a socket in the lounge shouldn't cause a problem. Fit a blanking plate over the box in the new bathroom and seal it with mastic to show the fact cables drop there.

If it isn't the lounge wall though the cables could not only be outside the safe zone but possibly outside completely lol.

Kind regards

9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi. considering the amount of work involved in converting the room to a bathroom, wouldn't it be best to get rid of the live cables in the wall and re-join the ring (assuming this is what its) within the ceiling void? Trying to find something IP suitable to terminate or a socket the other side for the sake of keeping a cable where it may be required in the future seems a bit a bit counterproductive if you ask me.
    With regards to the safe zones with an outlet on the opposite side to where the cables have been buried, i think i have read somewhere this only applies if the division is a minimum of 100mm and you can see both sides of it.
    Only my 2 pence worth! :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Correct re the safe zone Fats, that's why I mentioned it earlier.

FatHands likes this.
  11. FatHands

thanks for confirmation Sen. Think its a building reg rather than a wiring reg isnt it?

12. Bazza-spark

Hence the sealed faceplate.

I agree that removing is best, but was making a suggestion for the OP as he may want to reinstate it later.

FatHands likes this.
  13. FatHands

hi baz. sure, wasn't cross-questioning you mate, just trying to clarify things in my own mind (as there are so many places we are expected to retain information from ;))

14. Bazza-spark

No problem Fats didn't think you were. As ever, discussion brings out the best ideas - and the worst - and if we help the OP arrive at a workable legit solution happy days.

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thanks all. Some useful pointers. Be a week or three before I know whether this is going ahead, but will definitely not be DIYing this anyway. Just wanted to find out what options there are. There's a few other challenges to this project as well.

16. FatHands

thanks Baz, appreciated. :)

17. FatHands

Keep us all posted on how things go :)

18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Y. Will do. Poor old guy is 84 and was active and driving around until last week, now had to have a leg off. Tough time. Not out the woods yet, but hoping he gets into rehab in 2 weeks, and if he does, then we'll be starting this project.