Isolator or RCD main switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mr Jenks, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

Hi people
    Im wiring a sub main into a garage from the meter position.
    Do i need to have RCD protection for the sub main at the meter end or can i just use a DP isolator and correponding MCB to protect the circuit for overcurrent, or do i need to have an RCD protecting the circuit?

I will of course be installing a distboard with RCD protection at the garage end!

Thanks people

2. stu1312

stu1312 Member

what type of cable are you using and how are intending to run it as that will have a bearing on if you need rcd protection or not.

3. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

6mm2 Twin and Earth along with a seperate 6mm2 PC

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

More info required:

1. Approx length of run from meter to CU.
    2. Reference method used, i.e will the cable be buried in plaster, clipped direct, or conduit.
    3. Is there a possibility of using other tyupes of cable? SWA, HiTuff etc

5. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

1. 9m cable run
    2. clipped direct
    3. Twin and Earth only

Im only wanting to supply up to 30 Amps into the garage Distboard so as i understand the 6mm T & E clipped direct is ample especially if i run a seperate 6mm PC alongside it!

Thanks for the help

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is it not possible to wire the 6mm direct from the CU?

I'm under the impression that since the cable is not less than 50mm than it requires RCD protection.

7. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

No worries
    i will utilise an RCD instead of a new Main switch DP isolator for the seperate sub main.

Thanks again

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

An RCD main incomer does not offer over-current protection, this is merely the max rating of RCD. You will need to an MCB along side this to act as the over-current device. This was brought up when someone installed a 40A RCD 'shower switch' as a supply for their shower.

9. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

Yes im aware of the need for the additional overcurrent protection.
    I was an Electrician for 20 years but for the past 15 i have been doing a completely different job, hence the need for up to date info as im not certified anymore. The 16th edition was the last regs i qualified for!

Thanks

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What does 6mm2 PC mean Mr Jenks?

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think he means cpc.

12. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

The cable is being clipped direct so there is no need specifically for it to be RCD protected for the reason Jitender gave.. Regardless of length of run cable size ect ect.. What type of supply do you have? TT PME?

I wouldn't worry about running a separate earth along with the 6mm either

13. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Circuits of special locations require RCD protection.
    Cables concealed in walls require additional protection, RCD protection being one of a number of options.
    Socket-outlets less than 20A, and intended for general use require RCD protection.
    As such, if the Sub Main is not concealed in a wall, does not pass through a location containing a bath or shower, then there is no requirement for RCD protection.

FatHands likes this.
  14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Unless it's a TT system Spin.

FatHands likes this.
  15. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

Its a TN-S system people and once again thanks for the info

16. spinlondon

Even with TT installations, there is no requirement to provide RCD protection.

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think there is for a TT sub-main isn't there Spin?

18. spinlondon

No.
    There is a requirement to provide fault protection, which could be by use of an RCD.
    The most common method used in TT systems for mains and sub mains is double insulation.

19. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

I think you are getting confused somewhere along the line Spin.. In a TT installation every circuit must be protected by an RCD or fuse. Since you cant guarantee a good Zs the only option I to use a correctly rated RCD. For a submain installed as described above on a TT would be a 100ma TD. But since its not a TT then an isolator and fuse will be fine.

20. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Thanks Caddy, that's the way I understand it,