Ivy and bramble killer

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Jitender, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looking for a strong killer to kill ivy and bramble.

My flat is near to the countryside and am constantly getting ivy and bramble coming in, nightmare :(

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Brambles are a nightmare need a few treatments before the finally die.
    Vitax SBK is apparantly a good killer of brambles, haven't used it myself, I normally use Kaskara/Broadshot which is a great killer of Japanese Knotweed,Docks,Ragwort, Brambles, Marestail & a few other weeds, usually one treatment is enough, it's a selective herbicide, but can be difficult to get for general public, seen it on Ebay.

I also use Rosate 36 (freely available on Ebay) made up stronger than normal dose,200ml into about 10litres of water in a knapsack sprayer, but bramble may need a couple of treatments.

BUT, wear a respirator & eye protection, I also wear gloves when mixing & when using any weedkiller, especially ones above.

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've been using Roundup tree stump and rootkill, works like a normal weedkiller but much more effective. Seems to kill of ground elder, at least for a while. I guess it should be sprayed twice a year, I need to do mine now.

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Let the brambles grow. Collect blackberrys ,make jam. Jobs a goodun!!!!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Apple & blackberry pie with lashings of cream or custard. upload_2017-7-7_18-51-0.gif

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've order 5lof the Rosate 360.

A bit out of hand in my garden so needs to be got rid of.

Thanks for the replies.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It's crumble not pie and definitely custard.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Jit, one word of warning with the Rosate 360, it not selective, & kills any plant immediately you spray.
    If you have plants to protect, I use a large thick offcut of ply/cardboard around the plant tto protect against the spray.

9. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

A few weeks ago, I chopped down some really old and an inch and a half thick brambles from behind my back fence, I chopped them down to the ground and soaked what was left in ordinary spray roundup. Came back to them about a month later and they are all brown and soft and came out easily. I've been digging out the roots and the roots look pretty dead as well. Also did a persistent fuscia and some wild honeysuckle and they seem to have gone the same way!

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might find a few suckers appearing.

11. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

No doubt, as the roots lead behind next door's fence and I can't get to that to spray it! I've dug out all the roots anyway, hopefully that's that!

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Woke up at 6:30 this morning and have cut down most of the bramble.

Flat is right next to a field so it will keep coming through. plenty left to make jam :)

Will try and get a pic of it this week. One bramble was about 1" in diameter :eek:

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What happens if there is ivy growing up a tree and the ivy is sprayed with R360?

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Normally you treat ivy at it's base, not up the tree, so cut the ivy around the whole trunk about 1ft above the ground, then treat the ivy stumps, I paint them with weedkiller, some large ivy stems, I've drilled a hole them & fill it wih weed killer.
    Ivy is pretty persistant.

Read this linky: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=192

15. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

9031551_f520.jpg

Just don't set the field on fire. :D:D:D:D

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I ordered 5L of the Rosate 360. Put some in a little spray bottle and sprayed on bramble. After 10 days the bramble was easy to pull out.

Instructions are quite extensive and I have just used it neat.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Works better diluted.:)

Leave it longer & it will kill right down to the tips of the roots.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Seems quite thick.

Will dilute with water to make it thinner so easier to spray.

From my window there is meter of bramble.

Going to be a nightmare to contain.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

By diluting it will be easier for leaves to asorb it.

With Rosate 36 you can use 50ml to a litre of water for brambles, for other weeds I use 20ml -30ml per litre water in a sprayer.

Jitender likes this.
  20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looking at the instructions it got various dilution rates.

I have just used about 1/2 l undiluted.