jacking up a shed

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Nishing, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Nishing

Nishing Member

I just built a 9x8ish shed (9x2 floor frame, osb, 3x2 walls and 6x2 shed roof) its set on 6 concrete blocks.

Anyway long story short i misunderstood the permitted development rules (i thought it was 2.5m to the heighest point of the roof) and my shed could have been taller, which ishandy because the shed is at a low point and water gathers around the foundations.

Im going to jack up the shed and add more blocks to raise it up so i can then raise the level of the ground around the shed so wster doesnt pool there (hope that makes sense)

I have 2 4ton bottle jacks but whats the best place to jack from? I dont want to damage it

thanks

2. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Use strong spreading beams underneath supporting across the floor and then 1 jack either side of the beam, do one side then the other.
    Without seeing the construction it's hard to advise but take out as much weight as possible before you start jacking it up at all

Nishing and KIAB like this.
  3. Nishing

Nishing Member

Ok would a 2x4 work? Its not got anything in there yet, still got to fit the roof sheets

4. DNR Plumbing

Use the biggest timber you have to hand screw 2 together if your struggling for something big enough

Nishing likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The maximum height of a shed should be 2.4 unless it is a dual pitched roof in which case it can be 4m

Jacking the shed has to be a gradual process or your shed will rack and become out of square very quickly and the joints and fixings will be compromised and worse still the shed will tip or slip off the jack

I would try and get at least three people. I would make (screwed or bolted) up a double beam either 6x2 or 9x2 and place it underneath lengthways at right angles to the floor joist. You need a jack at either end with to need pads underneath to stop them tipping or digging in. I would also cut many sliding wedges for each of the current shed pads. As you jack the shed up at most 25 mm a time, slide the wedges together to fill the new height. keep on repeating until you can get a block under and replace the wedges.

Keep an eye on the level and plumb as you are jacking.

at some point you will run out of travel on the bottle jacks so you are going to need some thick blocks to go underneath to repack

6. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Nish, I would use a lever. The shed is on 4'' blocks so try and get a brick under as a fulcrum and a piece of 4x2 and lift. The jacking point is wider and jacks tend to be quite unforgiving because they're steel and the floor is wood. A 3m piece of wood will give a 15stone man a hell of a lever and force to lift.

Also less bending and worrying about jacks slipping and resetting when the jack is out of travel.

Good luck.

7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could probably pick it up by hand.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Levers were my first thought, but I can just see the thing sliding off the pads if people aren't careful.

10. DNR Plumbing

Jacks on spreading timbers is the safest way but a ground pad may be necessary the jacking point would be on a spreading timber so no damage to the shed and weight spread safely across the whole shed so shouldn't warp would need 2 or 4 jacks and 2 spreading timbers to be safe and a 3rd set of the shed is huge

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's pretty small if it's 9' x 8' as I'm reading it. :)

12. DNR Plumbing

2 beams 4 jacks would do it no problem

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

2 blokes pick up one end and someone else pops some chocks in, repeat the other side.

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think you'd be better off using say 4x2 as levers(3m long), but having the brick/timber/block fulcrum about a foot outside the boundary of the shed.
    Place the lever about 4" under the shed BENEATH UPRIGHTS, over the fulcrum and lean down on the levers. Two 4x2 levers, under two uprights centre of shed, one person leans on the levers, one packs the shed. Raise the fulcrum or move it closer to the shed if more height is needed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

junior school science stuff, shouldn't be to hard to work out, assuming the shed didn't hold explosives at one time!