Japanese Waterstones

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jitender, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Why is there 3 stars in my reply?

I wrote Japanese short

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't use the word J A P or whatever word it is.

I got four week banned for using the slang word for chinese takaway, a word I've used for nearly 50 years.:eek:

Surprised I got away with Taff:eek:, expected a over zealous mod to edit my post.:eek::rolleyes:

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's how it was written

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sadly, many words aren't allow to day, are now deemed offensive.:(

5. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

KIAB who are you calling a Taff? :mad::p;)

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I watched someone use an Atoma 140g (aggressive) diamond lapping plate to maintain flatness, I can only see a 400g available from Japan.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sadly you just don't see Atoma lapping plates here, same with some of the whetstones, they are just not available in the UK.
    Last year I found a firm that did I think 8000 grit wheels for the tormek sharpener, but the import duty, made it unviable to get one.
    I have couple of Japanese whetstones here, but I want to get a Belgian Ardennes Whetstone, they don't need soaking like the Japanese ones, but I know very little about these stones.

http://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/belgian-whetstones-coticule.htm#

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just checked the flatness on the Japanese stones using straight edge, the stones need regular flattening maintenance, otherwise it could create a dip in the stone.

Don't bother buying the Axminister 'Premium' diamond stones, they are not flat :(

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There are some Atoma diamond stones on eBay the lowest grade is 400g, the person I saw using the uses a 140g stone., they are from Japan. If I purchase a stone from Japan would i have to pay customs/import duties charges?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just watched a video on Shapton Ceramic stones, very tempting :)

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There's a person on YT 'unboxing, using and reviewing a set of Shapton Glass ceramic sharpening stone'.

I don't want to be paying another £70 for a diamond stone to regularly flatten the waterstones. so will just do as some people do using wet and dry paper.

The ceramic ones seem very good, don't have to soak the stone prior to use.

With my waterstones I will have to flatten them after each sharpen.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  15. Matthew Rees

Matthew Rees New Member

We bought a set of Japanese Sharpening Stones from http://www.rutlands.co.uk/, and i must say they are awesome. They give a great finish on the chisel.
    You would only use the chisels you spend hours sharpening on certain jobs, like installing new oak linings and new doors, so their are no nails in there.
    Dont worry about the nails or the price they are worth it.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Still impressed with the stones, but will need to flatten them with every sharpen otherwise you will leave a gouge in the stone, which will transfer to the blade.

Need to learn how to sharpen without the aid of jigs.

I could quite happily sharpen tools all say.:)

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's the most boring job going :(

18. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

you can still find Charnley stones out there, about £30-£40, some sellers will also sell them flattened. Have seen some vintage Arkansas, Washita and Ouachita stones as well, some still with original labels on them around £30 mark. Best stone I had for my site kit was my fine Norton India, they're about £30 odd. My new Taidea 1000/3000 stone is good, a little softer than I expected, and to polish I might try the Taidea 8000.

19. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

Very satisfying to have razor sharp cutting edge tools done by yourself freehand. I am going back to a Disston D8 skewback and, never tried it but when you set a hand saw properly you should be able to hold it teeth up angled down, place a needle on the teeth and it should slide all the way down the teeth without falling off or getting stuck, just a little something my first cabinet maker boss told me decades ago.