Jig for fitting Screwfix 34mm cam lock dowels and 15mm cam lock

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by johnwmcc, May 18, 2017.

1. johnwmcc

johnwmcc New Member

I think it is how I shall now make them. I hadn't realised quite how difficult it would be to get the jig 'just right' to get the sides dead flush with top and bottom.

2. johnwmcc

johnwmcc New Member

I understand what you are saying here. If I were just using wood dowels, I would indeed take the registration from the outside with a dowelling jig. I have a good one that would do that.

My cam lock jigs register on the inside, and I have an adjustable fence to allow for material thickness.

But even a couple of tenths of a millimetre misplacement of the jig bushes is enough to throw the joint out of flush especially if in opposite directions on the two jigs.

And the cam dowels are a push fit in their holes, so unless I were to drill them oversize, wooden dowels registered from outside would not really work to force registration.

3. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

In the workshop we used a unitool rafix drilling jig but never found it to be that accurate due to play within the actual fixings themselves, it's much easier to glue/biscuit

4. johnwmcc

johnwmcc New Member

They don't register, full stop. It's not the tightening it's the hole positions that don't quite register flush.

5. johnwmcc

johnwmcc New Member

I agree, if I didn't need the knock down option!

6. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Because of the ways the cams tighten into the dowels the cams on the r/h side of the unit pull the shelf into the back while the ones on the l/h side force the shelf forward which is why the dowels are there to help locate, but even when it's been done on a Cnc router it's never been an overly accurate fixing
    Have you had a look at the Lamello invis mx2 expensive but gives a nice strong accurate joint

7. johnwmcc

johnwmcc New Member

Not yet - hadn't heard of them, but did look (see earlier in this thread) at another Lamello knock down joint. Busy atm, but will look later today. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. johnwmcc

johnwmcc New Member

VERY ingenious! But as you say, pretty expensive for one- or two-time use to get set up with the kit to use them, not to mention high unit cost of fittings about: £1.50 each if bought in small quantities, and not much less in larger quantity.

9. WallopaDonkey

WallopaDonkey New Member

Attached Files:

10. WallopaDonkey

WallopaDonkey New Member

The lamello xeta is like £1250