Jig for tubular latch

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Phil 194, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Phil 194

Phil 194 New Member

Hi All

Is there a router jig available for doing tubular latches like the trend hinge jig. I know there is a trend lock jig does this do tubular latches as well

thanks phil

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why would you need a jig for tubular latches?

3. Barn Raiser

Barn Raiser New Member

had a job to do last year with 11 doors. Knocked up a jig for the tubular latches and the keep plates with a bit of scrap MDF with some holes drill ed to pin it in position. Used a makita trimmer for the work. Perfect.
    The jig got swept up at the end of the job but I wish I had hung onto it. Still its only 30mins to knock uo some om
    more...

4. real joiner

real joiner New Member

Depending on how many doors you do, could'nt it take just as long farting about with jigs and routers. I bet any chippie with an auger bit could keep up with the pace. I know we are getting an increasing number of new products that mean less skill is needed on the job, but dont you think it would be taking things a bit too far to have a guide to drill a straight hole in a door?

Apologies if you are not a chippie!

5. timber ninja

timber ninja Member

too true, its just drill a hole, change bit drill another. latch in hole, mark with stanley knife, chisel out, latch back in, two screws, spindle through, handles on. . .

took me longer to type! :)

some unscrupulous types dont even bother with the chiseling out, just hammer the latch into the softwood.

mind you they are bad people, smell faintly of cheese. tiny hands too . . .

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Trend will make you a plate for about £10(at least it was 4-5years ago. It is much much quicker to do latches and bathroom locks with a jig. No messing about no taking a bit out here and a bit out there. Everything in a gorilla tub and you will fly through the mortices and faceplates in no time. Sure I can do one with and a spade bit and a chisel in less time than it takes to get a router out etc, but when you have a house full to do you really do save considerable amounts of time. If you are a hinge jig user then it is a natural step, as for putting in sash and dead locks the trend jig will pay for itself in four front doors maximum, I reckon I save 45mins per front door based upon 1 sash and 1 dead.

7. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Not that I know of but why bother. Get a decent speed bit or auger. Will be quicker than mucking about with jigs.

8. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Plus as everyone knows most mortice latches really need a 23mm flat bit(doesnt exist) and thats why a 22mm always needs a little wiggle to let the latch in nicely, and thats why the trend plate produces a 23mm hole.

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

If you are set up right there is no mucking about, horses for courses but if you are organised it is definitely faster with a jig, perhaps not a massive amount but enough to make a difference if you do a lot of doors.

10. saddle joint

saddle joint New Member

Yes, there is a jig that can be used for this type of latch. It's made by Trend and fits into their big lock jig that's used for mortice locks.

Trend supply a set of steel inserts that are held into the body of the jig by a strong set of magnets. They do about 20 inserts for mortice locks but they also do inserts for tubular latches. 12mm, 22mm, 24mm and up to 25mm.

You use the ordinary bush guide and cutters you normally use with your router for morticing.

Happy days.

For the frame side I use a piece of thick perpex which I screw on with a 6no screw.

Hope this helps.

vivaro man likes this.
  11. Gjoiner

Gjoiner New Member

Too many smart arses on here!!

(above) Why would you use a jig and router on a latch when you can just drill it out with an auger or flat bit??

Errrrr becouse most latches are oval in shape and a auger and flat bit produce a circular hole!! And it's not advised to reem the hole out with with bit in the drill for many simple reasons. Also cutting it out with a 25mm bit is too much and 22mm bit is not big enough. That's why u would use a jig for producing neat finishes to doors with speed. And u can buy any fast bit or auger bit in any size. U can buy 20,21,22,23,24,25mm bits from its London!

Fair enough u can use a 22mm bit and chisel the excess out but why would you if you could do it in one with a jig and router much quicker, even more so if you work to a price on 2nd fix a whole house and 3rd fix were drilling out and fitting door furniture is included in your price

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In the nearly 6 years since this post was open he could have chased it out with a blunt screwdriver and a Stanley blade. :p

Gjoiner likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Funny isn't it that it is the "new" members that like digging up old threads

14. Gjoiner

Gjoiner New Member

Whats funny about it? Thats what they ate there for to discuss... Doesnt matter when the thread was posted its there to be viewed when u want info before buying a product!!!

15. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

Using a router is not a good way to do latch rebates. Routers just aren't good at deep/narrow rebates.

If you do a lot of latches it's worth looking at the Souber Mortice Cutter. It's good at cutting small/deep rebates. Quick and easy. Not too expensive either.

The router may be a good tool for cutting out the wider /shallow rebate to accept the fore-end plate. Personally I prefer to just use a chisel but I do know others who like to use a template. That works well if you always use the same type of latch so your template exactly matches. You will still need to use a chisel to square off the corners.

Gjoiner likes this.
  16. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

Really never seen the need for a jig for Tubular latches, again set up time comes into the equation, by the time you have done all that surely you will have chiseled out the waste in a couple of minutes.