Job from hell

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by KIAB, Apr 18, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A simple job of removing a internal chimney stack from a corner of a bedroom, has become a job from hell.:mad:
    It is getting larger by the day,& I'm getting pi**** off, on the third day tomorrow:(,it's tied into a loading bearing wall & a single skin wall, took percaution of using acrows for loading bearing wall.:)
    Easy going at first, got 4' down & my first surprise a heavy steel 9" liner, in 3' sections, about 3 sections, impossible to get access to to cut it,even with a gas torch, so I now need to open stack on ground floor, so I can remove metal plate for it to drop down, so it's below bedroom floor level.
    Was going to leave ground floor stack for a week or two before removing, but I have no choice now.:(
    Single skin wall was loose, so that got rebuilt today, so by friday it will get a undercoat,then eventually multifinish.

Joe95 likes this.
  2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

C'mon, where's the pics? :) Dont think yourself immune from showcasing your construction catastrophes.........!

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Join the queue.....same here with a painting job! :(

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's an annoying demolition, not construction catastrophe,that is something I never get.:)

Will post pics in the morning.:rolleyes:

Astramax likes this.
  5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Glad to hear, wouldn't have thought you did :) is it your house or a customers?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My shack.:(

Got rid of chimney last year, took it all down to attic floor, thought it was going to be a simple job to remove the rest.:(

Can't understand the need for a short steel liner, but one advantage it's remove the need for a cement/sbr slurry for sealing sooty brickwork.:)

7. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

It always happens Kiab. It's one thing doing it for someone else, but working on your own home is a whole lot more irritating.

You're not alone though, boiler PCB has gone again and our GS engineer is on holiday till Thursday. And no gas fires...
    Fan heater and immersion on!:rolleyes:

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I've found there's a different level of frustration associated with working on your own house, fairies seem to wave a wand and transform a relatively straightforward task into a never-ending deluge of dust, frequent trips to builders merchant to buy something to counter the latest discovered disaster, partner/girlfriend/wife whining incessantly "when's it going to be finished?", early mornings and late evenings, more time spent dust sheeting and cleaning than physically working, and all for no pay. You have my sympathy sir. :(

Joe95 likes this.
  9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

That and you're not paid to work on your own house!

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Glad its not only me then, was cutting a big tree down in the garden, removing a beam/branch about 25' long it twisted on me and crashed down smashing a section of my neighbour fence to pieces. :(:(:(:(

Best I could do was burst out laughing while hanging on to the remaining part of the tree for dear life, :p:p:p

nigel willson and Dr Bodgit like this.
  11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Started my own hall, stairs and landing just over 4 years ago...........well some things just shouldn't be rushed! :rolleyes:

Joe95 likes this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I can cope with virtually all of that Joe, but it's the whining moaning cack off the other half that gets on my t its! Always said when they're sitting down too, with imprint of rectum firmly embedded on settee.....

Joe95 likes this.
  13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Only 4 years, still haven't finished my extension yet, 12 years after the first brick was laid. :(:(:(:(:D:D:D:D

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Beat this....1990 had a conservatory built found time two weeks ago to fit window boards and hang one vertical blind.........well best to keep her indoors happy:)

15. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

It took me 12 years to re-fit a short length of 3" skirting in our bedroom! :(

16. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Extension built in 2004... still to paint ceiling!
    Regards,
    Cando

17. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Can't do more like :p

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Still finishing bathroom from my 'boring Saturday' post started a few weeks back! So busy with work, busy weekends and getting back late in evenings so been on a back burner. Did a bit on Monday. Regardless, feel much better after reading some of the posts :D

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

DA isn't far from you he could pop round and give you a hand ?

Mind you sorting out the terms and conditions could take a while ;) - I can see the number of Hob nob biscuits for elevenses being a sticking point:D

KIAB likes this.
  20. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Milk or plain chocolate?