John Guest Pipe to replace Gas Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by mackie, Aug 26, 2016.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Hi,

Scenario - I need to have my gas pipe moved (extended) as I want to move the cooker. Currently the pipe runs through joists with t-joints (End feed) to a couple of fires. The t-joints are how they managed to get the pipe through the joists (ie it was cut short enough to fit between the joists then jointed to the fires). But now the fires have been removed the T-Joints are defunct and capped off.

So I have had three quotes to move the pipe, two of them simply extending the run but the third (and actually the cheapest) he wants to remove the existing run back to before the first joint and run straiht through, Sounds like a plan to remvoe the defunct joints.

but........

In order to do this he says that he would replace it with Plastic pipe (John Guest) connected with compression to the existing run as this is flexible enough to go as a run through the four joists, then compression (which would allow the run to return to being copper) on the end to the new location for the bayonet outlet.

Is this allowed?? He is Gas Safe Registered so I should trust him, but why did the others not suggest this (also GS reg). Also my thoughts are if it aint broke dont fix it....just extend the run to the new location.

But if it saves me £50 then it saves me £50.

2. Gulp.

No, it should not be used for gas. Full stop.

I'm not actually sure what to suggest here. Really, honestly, you should let him go ahead and install it - and then report him.

He should not be on the GS register.

It's one of these 'things' - chances are it'll be fine and will work ok (I can't think of any chemical in the gas that'll deteriorate the pipe, tho' there could be), but perish the thought you'd have a fire. Or a hungry mouse.

NO!

I can't believe a GasSafe has recommended this. He should be struck off.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Has to be copper & soldered joints.

Building Regulations and the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 (Regulation 5(2), which states that internal gas pipework must be made from metal.

Don't think it's changed, but I don't do gas.:)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Definite No! I expect he finds a coil of plastic pipe easier to carry on his saddle with the lasso than copper!
    Tell him to hit the trail!

leesparkykent likes this.
  5. If this is a serious proposal by this guy, he should be reported.

No question in my opinion.

There are plenty of cases on this very site where plastic pipe has been damaged by rodents resulting in flooding. And chances are there are trace chemicals in gas supplies which could do harm - I wouldn't be surprised if there are small amounts of oils etc. present to lube the system. What could that do to the plastic pipe over time?

And the potential result from using plastic water pipe for gas will not be a 'wet' outcome. Unless it's from the firefighter's hoses putting out the flames afterwards.

This is hellish in the extreme. This tradesman should not be allowed to carry out any further gas work. Ever.

If a DIYer came on here asking if he could do this, you can imagine the outcry.

What will actually happen here? Nothing. Mackie will turn him away and get someone else. The GS chancer will then quite possibly go on to do this very thing in someone else's house who isn't as aware as Mackie is.

Any point in reporting him? No, not unless he's written down he's gonna use plastic for gas - which I doubt.

And I cannot see Mackie doing 'the right thing' because it's really too much to ask him to - ie give the guy the go-ahead to install and then shop him when the evidence is there to be seen.

It's surely the right thing, but it ain't gonna happen. And I really don't blame Mackie for this.

Is there any other way to highlight this guy's very dangerous practice?

This makes me shudder. This completely irrepressible cowboy is going to get away with this and very likely do it somewhere else.

KIAB and teabreak like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I wonder what other work this cowboy has done in the past, a lot of peeps could have dangerous gas installations & other work he has done in their houses.:eek:

Are the quotes about intended work OP got verbal or written,if on paper, then he has the proof.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  7. The more I think about this, the more the hairs on the back of my neck tingle.

This 'GasSafe' (fnurrr) is an off-the-wall loon.

This is so irresponsible it's truly scary.

GASAFES ON HERE - what do you suggest? How can this guy be reported?

8. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

I would ask for the quote in writing on the off chance the *** specified it in his quote.

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good idea.

10. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

11. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Suggest you check his gassafe number on the web-site - is it the same person?!

If so, he should be reported for stupidity and potentially causing a catastrophic problem.
    If not, he should be reported for using someone else's gassafe number.

There you are. Only other possible scenario is that you are a wind up merchant (hope not!) ;)

12. I kinda hope he is... :oops:

13. BrianTheTallOne

BrianTheTallOne New Member

He is probably referring to Gastite or Tracpipe, but putting it in laymans terms or got his brand names mixed up which we all do sometimes. I would ask for clarification before reporting him etc etc. He could be a cowboy or it could be a storm in a teacup.

14. How we'd laugh if that were the case... :)

15. SC96

SC96 Member

I'd recommend asking him for his gas safe card, if he doesn't have one RIDDOR report him

16. mackie

mackie Member

Interesting call to Gas Safe today (0800 408 5500). Apparently they know all about him and he is already under investigation / Gas Safe Approval withdrawn.

Thanks for all the advice people, thats why I use this forum.

Seems £50 in my pocket would of been £50 saved for when it all goes bang :eek:

17. Blimey.

The correct action, and the correct outcome.

That doesn't happen too often... :)

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wow!:eek:

Pretty impressive, great result, one more cowboy removed.:)

19. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member