Joining oak block worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Sam Cobley, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Sam Cobley

Sam Cobley New Member

I've been a fitter for years but never really had to install solid wood tops. With laminate tops I always pva my joints and never had any issues. I'm now installing solid oak tops and my question is shoud I PVA the joint before bolting as usual or is there another method I should use bearing in mind the expansion and contraction with real wood tops.

2. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Always glue with waterproof pva (not 100% correct if this is that the manufacturing company of the worktop would advise but I've done quite a few this way and never had a problem

3. Sam Cobley

Sam Cobley New Member

As I thought. Thanks mate

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Just butt joint them too.No masons mitre. And don't forget to oil the underside plenty and don't skip the moisture barrier above dwasher/washing mach/tumbledryer

CGN likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Usual things:
    3-4 mm gap between the wall and edge of the work top to allow for movement.
    If they are having a matching up-stand fix this o the wall instead of the worktop.
    Worktop is fixed through oval holes in the cabinet, again to ease movement
    All brackets should brace in line with the grain rather than cross
    If the are having something like a belfast sink may want to think about a drip grove on the underside