Joining these work tops together

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Tiny01, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

please can someone advise me on the easiest way to join these together please !

Basically building a kitchen area for Mrs tiny to make a few cup cakes in , few base units & worktop only small 2.4 X 2.4 X 2.4 - U shaped

Understand fit the tie together fittings in the routered out bits on the underside of the worktop & join together & tighten , but can't see a way to tighten them up as the corner units have a top in them & don't allow me at the fittings on the underside !

Am I missing something very basic here lol ?

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Have the work tops been route red out already? Or did you do this?

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You'll need to use a holesaw and drill through the top of the cabinet to allow access to the nuts...or better still use the 'fast fit' clamps which use an Allen key.

It's often the norm to do this when fitting worktops and occasionally requires a bit of ingenuity to get access to them :)

Tiny01 likes this.
  4. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

All cut & routered for me I just need to join them together & locate onto the base units

tore81 likes this.
  5. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Ah sweet yes got you now thanks really appreciated , guessing a small about of silicone before tightening up fully & then wiping away the excess ?

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Pretty much the norm to use a product called color fill now which is a coloured sealer chosen with the worktop colour in mind. It helps hide any slight discrepancies in the cut edges or can be used to repair any chips etc. Regarding the holesaw, drill a pilot hole and either drill up from below or stop when nearly through from the top and do the last bit from below. Just stops ' tear out' on the inside of the cabinet...not that you'll see it mind, but just a little detail when you've got nice new base units :)

tore81 and Tiny01 like this.
  7. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Okies cool understand that , won't tackle it until the weekend now anyway but nice to have an understanding of what I'm going to be doing ...

Have a couple more issues that I think I'll
    Need help with but I'll start another thread under another heading hoping that you'll
    Be able to advice thanks once again great help

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No probs, just take your time and measure twice, cut once etc. Half the battle is properly levelled base units when you come to levelling out the worktop joints.

Tiny01 likes this.
  9. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Yes will do , really looking forward to it will will post pics once done :)

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Out of interest tiny I didn't realise you get work tips ready routers where from. And the cost difference

11. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

I was surprised to see them turn up like that I must say mate , my mate who supplied the kitchen owns his own kitchen manufacturing business so guess he just asked for them like that to make things easier for me to fit , no idea where he buys them from or a cost yet , my mates flown out to Bali today for his Xmas getaway when he's back I'll find out where from & how much mate .

tore81 likes this.
  12. FlatPack Bart

FlatPack Bart New Member

x2 :)

13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

14. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

All done thanks for the advice well pleased with the finish & most importantly mrs tiny is well happy with her new cake preparation room ! :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

very nice. top quality worktops do miter together really well. looks better than duropal.

Tiny01 likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I guess you're gonna have a small trim or silicon bead at the wall to cover the back edges!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Nice job :)

Tiny01 likes this.
  18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Looks well nice and mrs tiny even got her plinth lights in the end :)

Where / how did you switch them in the end

19. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Yep tiny bead of silver/grey silicone was all that was required , worktops were a very snug fit

20. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

lol you noticed then , well pleased with the way they turned out as well , as suggested on here I fitted a PIR sensor switch as sock as movement is detected on they come , time adjustable 3 - 10 mins

image.jpeg