Joining worktops end to end

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by PaulMc, Jan 20, 2015.

1. PaulMc

PaulMc New Member

Hi all
    What's the best joint to use when fitting worktops end to end? Was hoping just to cut a channel with a router and bolt them with butterfly bolts. It's a long room so the worktop is in 3 sections.

2. PaulMc

PaulMc New Member

Oops, should have said, they're solid iroko, straight-edged.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How long is it?

4. PaulMc

PaulMc New Member

Hi Chippie, 5m in total - 1m, 2m, 2m sections (only way to get them in the flat!)

5. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

Personally I'd just route the bolt channels and bolt them together as you suggest. That way you can get fine adjustment to match the surfaces exactly. I tried using biscuits before and couldn't get the (gloss laminate) join to lie flat.
    I guess you'll avoid joining by the sink.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's a pain. I could think of different ways but I wouldn't like to have to do them or even know if they would be better.

7. PaulMc

PaulMc New Member

Thanks TartanPaint. Ha! I've made some mistakes with cutting out the holes for the sink and hob, but yes, definitely not joining by the sink. The joints should be nicely over a cabinet edge... in theory!

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It would be better if the joints weren't and you could glue and screw a big cleat underneath. Biscuits work if you have a good jointer, no offence Tartan.

9. PaulMc

PaulMc New Member

I've got a bit of flexibility with the layout of the cabinets so I'll have a think on that. Thanks for your help.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Whichever you do it it will be difficult and you will have to take your time and be very accurate.

11. PaulMc

PaulMc New Member

Guys, it worked to perfection. Bolted, glued and in place. Going to get the sink and hob fitted this week, then we're laughing. Thanks for your help.