Jointing compound or other suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by flimflamflum, Jan 20, 2017.

1. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

I have some problems with the walls in my bedroom. Stripped all the wallpaper off, on the plasterboard some of the paper has come off. Would jointing compound be the best way to go to cover it and would this also work on the small holes on the plaster wallsor is there a better way? Also does this have to be primed before painting. Had been thinking about artex smooted on or polycell finishing skim. Can't really afford a plasterer at the moment to skim it. Would prefer something ready mixed too.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

CGN likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So it's a plaster board wall that's been papered direct, i.e. No skim ?

You did well to get the paper off in the first place then !

Large areas of torn/missing PB face ? . What's the plaster core like, is it intact or crumbly

If the plaster is firm and the PB isn't literally caving in (it's the 2 paper skins that give the stuff it's strength)
    then I would suggest (in a DIY fashion , but have done the same);

PVA mix 1 to 5 water and brush over the exposed plaster core only, let it sink in then wipe any runs off the wall with damp cloth (you only want it on the exposed plaster )

Use filler (easifill 20 very good stuff and excellent value if doing loads decorating) use a wide blade or taping knife or float to skim the larger areas. Same filler for small holes

Sand down till your happy with the finish then mist coat all areas uv filled (watered down regular emulsion - non vinyl)

If you've got loads of filler patches, mist coat the entire wall

The mist coat will also show up any imperfections in the filled areas. You may then want to readress these areas, fill, sand, mist coat again

Wall is now ready for 2 topcoats of your choice

You could also choose to repair damaged areas then use lining paper before painting
    Just depends on condition of wall, level of prep and what finish ur hoping to achieve :)

4. flimflamflum

flimflamflum Member

The bottom coat of paper is still intact. No exposed plaster. Took an age to scrape it. Partner doesn't want to try easifill as tried plater in the hall and was a bit of a disaster. Was looking for something he could roll on if possible. Lining paper didn't stick up. Ive already emulsioned it, would that make a difference?