Joist into RDJ

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by neibick76, Jan 14, 2017.

1. neibick76

neibick76 Member

On a site at the moment and I have to put the floor joist into the rsj the eye is 9 1/4" I have told the bloke I need a joinst at 10" atleast to clear the top and bottom obviously for the floor and ceiling.
    He has got me 8" and told me to fit that.

Now am I being daft here that will not work od does he know something I don't.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Late night,too early for me, need coffee to wake up,:) so if I reading your post wrong my apologies.

So you have bolt timber to rsj, then hangers for joists, I've done it two ways in the past, photo are missing timbers bolt to joists.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Why didn't you ask him? :confused: Well what rooms is it encompassing? If it's over an integral garage then the ceiling may not be boarded, so in that instance just keep the joists level with the top of the rsj. Does he think the 8 inch joist is to fit into the web of the rsj perhaps? If he is really a buffoon and you are supposed to work a miracle, I'd still look at keeping the floor correctly levelled, can always batten the ceiling if needed to make up.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've always fitted them into the web.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes.

Can't say I've ever seen either of the above done on any sites I've been on.

Either fit straight into the web, cutting the joist so it fits flush with the top and bottom.

Or fill the web with timber and then use hangers of off of it.

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Done it that way or fitted them in the web too. Prefer filling the web with timber method myself.

Never seen a joist butted up on a hanger to an RSJ.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

With regards to the pics, done the first on a persimmon site where the upper back wall of the house was built on top of the steel, same as building in masonry hangers, done the second one a couple of times now, on loft conversions using extra long joist hangers fixed to the top plate AND to a beam within the web. But as the pics stand, there's no real difference between the two, both hangers are bearing, as opposed to face fixed.

8. neibick76

neibick76 Member

The joist will sopporting a floor a ceiling I was under the impression they should have a 12mm clearance above the rsj for the floor and 2mm below. Well that is NHBC standard anyway. My question is i want to use a 10" joist to clear the rsj top and bottom.

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you are just being paid to do the work, explain that you will do as asked and if its not right you will expect to be paid again to correct it, if that's not agreeable then walk.

neibick76 likes this.
  10. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

As already been said, this isn't going to work.

In these instances, I ask for a drawing, then as Phil says above.