Joists on thermalite?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by John Hepburn, Sep 1, 2014.

1. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

Hi
    I am putting in floor joists. The problem I have is my walls in the garage have been rendered, and it is thermalite behind the render. How can I fix a wall plate (to hang the joists off) to the wall. I usually use thunderbolts but thermalite is obviously soft and surely it would crumble? I was thinking maybe chemfixing?
    What would be best?
    Thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How high is the new floor off the old floor?

3. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

litterally only 3 inches

4. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

3 inches one end and half a inch other end

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Lay your firrings on the old floor, why involve the walls?

6. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

The floor is out of level and I have to bring it up to match a existing floor, when floor is in place i will run stilts down to existing concrete floor for more stability just wondering how i can fix it without it pulling out of the wall later on

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just in case I misread your answer and you misread mine what is the difference between the highest and the lowest point of your new floor and your old floor and what do you want it to be?

8. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

It's a garage floor that is currently concrete, I'm converting it in to a spare room and complying by building regs, the old floor is out of level and needs the new floor put in level to the existing house floor. I was planning on running a level bearer plate along the wall and hanging them off that with hangers. But the existing wall is thermalite behind the render so unsure of how to fix the bearer plate to the wall.

9. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

It's 2.5 inches out of level but that's to the bottom of the timber

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Over what distance?

11. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What size are your floor joists?

13. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

Theyre 6X2 joists

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Just use packers off the floor at each end and in the middle on top of what ever DPM you are using.

15. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

Ok :) thanks very much