Juliet balcony (steel) bolt onto upvc french door frame (plastic) in loft?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gameplayers, Aug 27, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

2. Gameplayers

Gameplayers New Member

Hey guys, Yes, it's a timber frame (stud wall). So what should we do now please? Any suggestions please? I would be really grateful.

Also, very strange, is the following saying that it can be done??

http://www.julietbalcony.co.uk/faqs/balcony-fitting-instructions/

"In certain circumstances, such as a tile-hung dormer conversion, it may be necessary to fasten the balcony to a door frame. This is a common application and requires a nut + bolt straight through the frame. If you tell us the depth of the frame we can supply the correct length of bolt with black or white plastic covers."

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Fixing the balcony to the door frame relies on the frame being strong enough and that it is fixed correctly. This really needs a load test to be carried out first.
    It is probably fine but if it isn't someone could be in for a long drop.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If this is a build in progress, your railings will have been specified during the original plans and design and will be part of the Building regs. What was in the plans ?

5. Gameplayers

Gameplayers New Member

Right, the seller confirmed the weight of the juliet balcony is 30 kg. He said putting 8 bolts of M10 to secure them together is how many of his customers do it... Hmmm...

6. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

7. Oh for pity's sakes, of course it can be done through the frame.

Jeepers. "What if the door ain't fixed properly?!" Well, in that case you'd better not lean against even the bludy door, had you? :rolleyes:

As I said in post #6. my neighb has one which is purely a sheet of glass, held by 4 (or could be 6) round SS fixings. So, it's bolted through using a max of 6 bolts.

Mine has 4 brackets on the balcony frame, each with two holes. They are fixed using (I think) M8 SS bolts with washers and dome nuts so's they look nice.

When I drilled through the PVC frame, there was an ali box section inside which I presume is standard for PVC door frames?

So, bottom line - nothing is going to pull these fixings through that frame. Not even an elephant. And if the actual door frame itself ain't fixed into the wall securely, then you have bigger issues to worry about...

(Yes, they are heavy - but it's almost all in the glass. 30kg is nothing - the weight of a small child. If your door frame can't hold that up you have serious issues...))

8. Ok, yes, I am mainly chust showing off my vooo... :oops:

SDC17836.JPG SDC17837.JPG SDC17838.JPG

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm going to ignore the view (lucky bar steward:)) and say you could have given the frame a quick wipe over. :rolleyes::rolleyes: mucky pup. :D

10. The whole house is filthy... :oops:

11. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Sosplan's point is well made and at worst I would ask BCO what he will accept.

The weight of the parapet is strictly irrelevant: they have to be designed to resist a specific horizontal load.

12. Yes, the actual balcony itself will likely need to conform to certain standards.

But I repeat - the door frames are not going to fail; them bolts will not be pulled through! Nor will the frame buckle. And fitting them through theses sections is common practice.

13. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select