Just had a some boiler replacements quotes..

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SSS, Feb 9, 2015.

1. SSS

SSS Member

Following on from this post (http://community.screwdix.com/posts/1327115/), where it was recommended that I should get the boiler replaced before doing any kind of flooring work, I have got a few boiler quotes and it turns out that its more expensive than I thought! The quotes range from anywhere between £3000 to over 4k.

Do you think that this is in the right ballpark of how much it should cost to get a boiler replaced?

Just to give you a few background details:

I currently have a non-condensing boiler (Ideal FF350) in the kitchen and the quotes are to get this replaced to a combi boiler and for it to be located in the same location. I was looking at something like the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28CDI.

Excerpts from one of the quotes:

We will chemically cleanse and flush through the entire heating system including radiators to remove debris and contaminates. The system will then be treated with an inhibitor. £340.00 excluding VAT

> Remove the current damaged boiler and attached pipe work
    > A new flue installed in line with the current manufacturer’s instructions.
    > The boiler condense discharge will be rooted safely to the waste pipe.
    > Install the Worcester Bosch System filter to continue to protect the system.
    > Install new heating controls – Worcester programmable roomstat;
    > Register the installation in-line with current UK regulations with both the Gas Safe register and building control.

£2,620.00 excluding VAT.

OPTIONAL EXTRAS:

Thermostatic radiator control valves be fitted to radiators. Supply and fit Honeywell VT117E Thermostatic Radiator Control Valves @ £40 each excluding VAT.

Over £40 to install TRV for each radiator??? Seem's extremely pricey to me??

What do you guys think?

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are all the quotes for a worcester bosch boiler?

Flu - is this straight through the wall? Or roof?

Seems ecpensive for a combi boiler swap, basing this on quotes i have had recently.

BEcause the are fitting their own brand filter are they giving 6 years guarantee?

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That link above is not working.

4. SSS

SSS Member

5. SSS

SSS Member

Jitender - This is straight through the wall and I guess replaces the existing Flu. All the quotes are for a Worcester Bosch boiler as they seem to make the most reliable boilers these days?

If you dont mind me asking, approximately how much were your quotes and where are you based? I presume it will cost more in the London area...

6. SSS

SSS Member

By the way are the TRV's that were mentioned in the quote any good?

Honeywell VT117E Thermostatic Radiator Control Valves

I was doing some quick research online myself and the Drayton TRV4 seem to be highly rated? Or does it not really matter?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think your location says it all, so hence higher prices.

I have been quoted 2400 for a vailiant pro 28. They are about the same price as a worcester.

I have had both makes fitted at different peoperties. And there are some good features on both. For instance the wb allows for piping to be hidden, for vailliant yoy need to buy a spacer which is 65mm thick to enclise the pipe.

I think the price yoy have been quoted isn't too bad ( lower end).

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I was told the same thing about the honeywell valves, but i dont like the look of them The TRV4s look much more smarter, i have these in my house.

I was quoted £150 to replace 4 valves, but this us something i can do myself. Make sure they replace the locksheilds at the same time.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If they are wb accredited, they will give you 5-6 years guarantee, subject to an annual service charge.

10. SSS

SSS Member

Is it fairly simple to replace a TRV then? I could save some money in that case...

11. SSS

SSS Member

Yeah I found all these plumbers by going through the Worcester Bosch website, so they are all WB accredited. I wonder how much the annual service charge is though.. Something I need to ask for next time!

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think its 6 years if they fit their own branded WB filter.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They are very easy to replace, most TRVS are bi-directional, so doesn't matter whether they go on the flow or returns side of a system.

There are lots of videos on youtube which show this.

It would be best to do them all in the same day, and drains the system.

14. SSS

SSS Member

So I just had another quick look at these Drayton TRV's and apparently they come in various different flavours? (8mm, 10mm, 15mm/angled/straight). How do you work out which type is required?

15. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

What size is your radiator pipework?
    Thats the size of valve you need.
    Are your existing valves on the side of the rad and do the pipes come up from the bottom?
    Angled valves required.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It depends on the pipe size, this size refers to the outside diameter of the pipe. mostly they are 15mm and angled - but depends on the radiator layout and the direction of the pipes for the rad.

17. SSS

SSS Member

Hi Dave - thanks for the response, I dont have any idea what the size the pipework is.. I will have to measure. What I can tell you is that the existing valves are on the side of the radiator but the pipes do not come from the bottom (flooring)

18. SSS

SSS Member

I've not really paid any attention to all this stuff! I will measure and come back with the details when I know.

Thanks

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are you changing the rad in the bathroom? normally these are straight valves.

If you upload pics, I can recommend which valves to go for.

20. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I had my boiler changed a few months back, the service charge for me is £55/yr via WB authorized installer