Just to prove experience and knowledge is no match for stupidity

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Mar 19, 2017.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I was finishing off some book shelves tonight and was giving them a trim. Half way through the cut I noticed that the splinter guard, the green bit wasn't lowered

upload_2017-3-19_21-42-52.png

So no problem I thought, just flick down the tab. Even though the base was on the timber, my middle finger went underneath and caught the blade. Fortunately, the blade wasn't spinning fast and was only a few mm below the bottom of the timber.
    upload_2017-3-19_21-41-19.png

Just one slip late in the evening when experience gets overtaken by stupidity

2. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Youch!
    At least you got tagged by a quality tool though eh. Imagine how poor a finish you'd have got to that cut if you'd been using a lesser brand :D

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep lucky it was a cross cut rather than a rip .....

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Idiot,etc,etc:eek:.

Regardless whether saw was on the timber, your fingers shouldn't be any blade spinning fast or slow, count yourself very lucky.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I know first slip like this for years, can't even think what was going through my mind. The stupid thing was it wasn't the finger that moved the guard down it was the middle finger that went under the timber that got nicked. :oops::oops:

6. Yeah, count yersel lucky - one, two, three, four, four, four...

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Previously it went 1, and a half, another half, another half, another half - Previously had four fingers sown back on the other hand :D

So wasn't much of a drama with this one little nick, just cursing myself for that lapse of concentration.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You can't be too careful, one moment of carelessness can result in a lot of misery.

Reminds me of a wee incident a few months back, putting a new bit on my 1/2" router, everything was new to me. Noticed there was a transparent rubber like protective sheath on the bit, so put thumb and forefinger on it to slide it off, not noticing that one of the flutes (new so razer sharp) had already sliced the guard along its length and proceeded to slice my index finger. I've never seen such a neat cut!!

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That rubber coating can be a real pain - then you realise just how sharp those bits are.

Similar stupid design with a Festool jigsaw I tried. The blade is inserted at a 10 to 10 angle, then you have to turn it to a 12 o'clock position by holding the blade :eek: