Juttering YouTube

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Any idea why my YT video playback stutters? The audio is perfectly smooth, and other video/movie formats run fine - iPlayer and even my own wee movie clips taken on a camera.

But the YT video image stutters - it seems to stop for a fraction of a second, and then restarts, so it appears as tho' it jumps fractionally back and forth before carrying on for another few seconds ok before then jumping again.

The sound plays fine throughout all this.

What the?

(Just been watching Bill Bryson being interviewed about the release of 'Walk In The Woods' as a movie - from his book. Man, the book is bludy marvellous - as is pretty much everything by BB - and I fear a movie cannot match it. It's the way the guy writes - wonderful.)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your internet connection is lagging.

The audio is a different frequency, & will be unaffected, it has a lower bandwidth requirement than video.

Suffered real bad with it, until I change to BT Infinity fibre, I now get 70Mb + now, everything perfect.

Sometimes it's worse depending on which brower you using, make your drivers are up todate for Shockwave Flash, etc, if using FireFox browser, check plugin's are up to date.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. Cheers, KIAB.

I'm pretty sure it's not the internet connection as I have fibre, and everything else runs smoothly - any other movies and stuff download/run fine - no hesitation.

Also no hesitation in 'starting' the clips - no scrolling, or anything like that. And the 'downloading' bar along the bottom is always well ahead of where the clip is running.

It's just with YT. And every clip does it.

Will try the drivers and plugins - thanks.

4. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

It's a flash player issue.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Is it only certian times of the day you get this problem.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Flash Player is darn nusiance at times, about time it was bumped off & replaced with HTML 5.:eek:

The latest Adobe Flash Player is version 19.0.0.185.

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

7. Cheers, Para - you may be right.

Thanks for the link, KIAB - I'll make sure it's up to date.

On my other PC I remember Flash Player often crashes when I try to run a programme on iPlayer.

As you say, Flash is carp and I understand is being dropped by more and more providers.

8. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

A couple of things to check.

If you have multiple browsers installed it's possible that they have all installed a version of FP and there is a conflig conflict.
    Also, try disabling hardware acceleration in FP settings.

You might get lucky with those but it can be very difficult to get to the root of flash problems sometimes. :(

9. Sorted - it was my pitiful Intel Integrated Graphics driver not been updated since 2010... :(

Flash Player also updated, but didn't have any effect, so tried a surf and found one person mentioning Intel's Integrated HD Graphics - about it being so pitiful that every time Flash or YouTube etc was updated, this Int Graphics was left behind...

Had a looksee and found it was 2010. Updated, and now it's 2012 - well, it's a start...

All working smoothly now :).

As a 'thank you', here's the video I was wanting to watch... (I haven't watched it myself yet, but I'm guessing it will be wonderful - I love this guy :D );

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::(:eek::(:eek::(:eek:
    Another one who doesn't have up to date drivers!

Want to add cheap seperate graphic card.:)

11. This was on an all-in-one PC which I believe has 'laptop' components inside, so I doubt it has room for anything fancy.

But, it does what's needed of it; it's a portable PC with quite a nifty HD screen that'll show movies, surf t'net and do all that malarkey with no hassle. HDMI ports too, so good for showing stuff on t'TV.

(Added bonus - it's rubbish for games, even Minecraft, so the kids leave it alone :) )

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would suggest running some "cleaning" software like Glary Utilities or CCleaner. Glary will tell which software needs to be updated

13. Cheers, Sos - I regularly use CCleaner.

Never heard of Glary - sounds useful if it detects outdated drivers. I'll have a gander - thanks.

14. Phew -sorted.

I'd tried Flash (thanks, Mr Ha) but that was already engaged with the latest Firefox. Also tried some weird Firefox 'config' thing which involved changing a number from 15000 to 60000.

Now't worked.

It was the bludy Intel graphics driver - gorn back to 2010 when I restored the pooter... :oops: