Katsu Router in Router Table?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wau5, Feb 25, 2017.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I have the very famous Katsu router trimmer, I have used it for a bit ... However Only now I realized that there's no way to mount it in a router table,I guess I just didn't thought about it when I got it and assumed every router can be mounted in table, I wanted to make a simple DIY router table .. however with the base it came with there's no holes on it so you could screw it down to a piece of ply.

Anyone have mounted theirs in a router table? how did you go about doing it?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Router not powerful enough in my opinion for table mounting,also 1/4" shank too small, need a 1/2" router.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's a trimmer so probably not powerful enough to be used as a router so would imagine it would burn out fairly quickly.

4. wau5

wau5 Active Member

It's just for light tasks, has been doing just fine with whatever I throw at it so far.

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I agree that it is possible too small for table mounting although it may depend on what you want to use it for. To do something like round the edges of battens which is easier in a table then yes, it could do. For years, I have had a MOF96E inverted in a table but that is a 900W 1/4" & 8mm unit.

On the Katsu, there are four screws holding the plastic base onto the casting - can they be removed and slightly longer ones used? You may find that a universal sub-base such as the Trend one is needed to allow table mounting

longboat and wau5 like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Extending the shank of 1/4" shank cutter to clear a routing table would have me running for the nearest exit.

Need 1/2" shank ideally, 8mm might be also a bit iffy,depends on diameter of cutter, a lot of stress on a router cutter in a table.

Joe95 likes this.
  7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Where as that been mentioned?

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You could mount it on some simple structure to give some more control, but the problem with these cylinder routers is adjusting the height once they are mounted. The other thing to consider is that the heat will build up as they aren't intended for continuous use plus dust extraction will be a problem

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Plenty of cheap routers out there good enough for light/occasional use. Loads of SH ones on eBay with table that go for very reasonable money

10. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Than you Sir,
    for some reason I didn't even thought about those screws, I tried to remove them and I can see I can just remove the plastic piece and mount it without it and use the screwholes that hold that plastic base down to screw it to a piece of ply.
    Very good idea! :)

sospan- that katsu (makita knock-off) has a very good way to adjust the height + I think rather good chip extraction as well,not sure about continuous use -but than again I'm not planing prolonged factory-like usage.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

What you will find is that the router is upside down and you can't measure the height of the bit on the top of the table, support the router and then lock off the height. That's why most tables have tilt tops or adjustment from the top.

12. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Update.
    I took the routers plastic base off , glued together 2 sheets of scrap ply and attached the router directly through the ply with its original screws which attaches the plastic base to the router. It was a bit of a hassle to drill 4 precise holes without knowing where to drill them, but after several tries it was done.
    It's super super stable now and a very tight fit, surprisingly this little katsu router can do almost anything I have thrown at it if you do it slowly enough.
    Made the table so I can dismantle it with ease and store it away when not needed.
    Much better than those small ready-made router tables for sure + it cost me nothing to make.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A lot safer if you use your clamps other way up.;)

Astramax likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Lot safer if there was a guard over the router bit .....

and feather edges rather than a fixed piece of timber

KIAB and Astramax like this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very good point, nothing to stop wood being thrown up.

Can't beat a proper router table.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looks like an accident waiting to happen, good try though!

KIAB likes this.
  17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Some good ingenuity, but I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole.

Astramax and KIAB like this.
  18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Around £20 from Aldi/Lidl. Remove the side wings and just use the centre section on a better board. Ideal to cart round in the back of a vehicle as well

upload_2017-3-29_21-16-53.png

Astramax likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A much safer option.:)

Astramax likes this.
  20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No money at all! Surely his clamping arrangement cost more than three of these.

KIAB likes this.