Killer Artex!

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Pieman, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Pieman

Pieman New Member

This is my first post so be gentle,
    I know that some Artex has asbestos in it, The question is how do I find out and how do I remove and dispose of it.
    Cheers chaps ;)

2. PowerTool

PowerTool New Member

Not all artex has asbestos in,but some older stuff does - sorry,don't know what date it changed.
    If it contains asbestos,you really need an approved asbestos disposal contractor - your local council should be able to give you names/numbers for those in your area.
    And they are probably the best people to ask to find out if yours does (do you know how old the artex is ?)

3. Goddo

Goddo New Member

Hi Pieman

Welcome to the forum.

Some textured coatings manufactured BEFORE 1985 MAY contain asbestos. This includes most Artex.

Under the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2002 YOU DO NOT have to remove any Textured Coatings containing asbestos.

IF YOU OWN the property YOU under the same act have the right to remove any textured coating yourself with no test and no further control measures. HOWEVER if you bring in a CONTRACTOR to work on or remove the coating, YOU (as the owner) then have a Duty of Care to know and inform said CONTRACTOR as to whether the coating does or does not contain asbestos. IF the a test proves positive for asbestos, ONLY THE OWNER or a LICENSED Asbestos Removal Company registered with the HSE may remove it.

All asbestos waste MUST be sealed in double bags and clearly marked. Unless you are using a licensed contractor YOU have a duty to inform the local authority and ask for disposal instructions.

Your local authority should also be able to advise on having it tested, but if they don't post what area you live in and I will try to advice.

IF you decide to remove it yourself leave a message and I will talk you through it.

Not too bad after all was it? Lol

4. Planteng

Planteng New Member

If its sound, ie not flaking or falling off, why not plaster over it.(I was on a COSHH course 2 weeks ago and that is what was recommended there)

5. Pieman

Pieman New Member

Thanks for putting me on the right track, I shall get on to the local authority and get the regs and such from them.
    Cheers chaps ;)

6. trustedman

trustedman New Member

All asbestos waste MUST be sealed in double bags and
    clearly marked.

Goddo,

I rang our local council the other day about disposing of some asbestos sheets. They do not have to be bagged here but if they are then they have to be in clear bags. So the bagging seems to be a local thing.

7. Goddo

Goddo New Member

I rang our local council the other day about
    disposing of some asbestos sheets. They do not have
    to be bagged here but if they are then they have to
    be in clear bags. So the bagging seems to be a local
    thing.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the info. I'm using HSE guideline of course but at the end of the day you do have to comply with your own Local Authority regs.

As you will probably be aware asbestos is safe until it becomes powdery; How are you planning to transport the sheets? I'm not trying to tell you what to do but think about it, if the sheet gets damaged who gets it? You or the council officer.

PS. I wanted to say most of the ones I have met are idiots, Not you Rachel sweetie!, but as they all know me that would be pretty dumb. Lol.

8. trustedman

trustedman New Member

I not that bothered if they break. They are not even real asbedos but asbedolux/cast concrete. People do get there knickers in a twist about asbedos, yes blue asbedos is dangerous and if you were cutting asbedos sheets all day long you would be in danger but putting a few sheets on the roof rack and driving them to the tip once in a lifetime wont kill me or anyone else. More likely to be killed by my bad driving

9. Goddo

Goddo New Member

driving them to the tip once in a lifetime wont kill me or anyone else.

Hmmm heard that one before Tim, stange how he cried when they told him he was dying...

PS Tim I always go commando... want-a-look? ;)

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is it or is it not true, that you have to have a license(carrying license) to transport asbestos ?

Or just a rumour ?

Handyandy - really

11. trustedman

trustedman New Member

So looking at asbedos, painting creosote and using jeyes fluid will kill me, but smoking just fine carry on as your were.

Is it just me?

12. trustedman

trustedman New Member

I'm not interested in looking at your dick either for some strange reason.

13. Goddo

Goddo New Member

Hi HA

Yes it's true (various licences apply to asbestos and transport operations) but there is one unfortunate exception: you may remove and transport to a icenced colection point if

1/YOU own the waste.

2/YOU removed the waste yourself. (If a contractor removes it they must take it away).

It has been removed from a residential property.

As you rightly point out Andy this is the law. Unfortunatly some council seem to be unaware of this.

Note also how tim'll fix it has taken the time to inform us that he doesn't like the truth.

Bet you my favourite plane he's a pikey builder!

14. Goddo

Goddo New Member

So looking at asbedos, painting creosote and using
    jeyes fluid will kill me.

Yes and smoking.

Is it just me?

It would be nice to think so tim but alas no your endangering use all!

15. trustedman

trustedman New Member

1. I do own the waste and want to dispose of it properly.
    2. I removed the waste myself from the old shed roof at my house.

However I don't want to pay over the odds for someelse to remove it when I can do it myself. You have missed my point I think, I am aware that lots of things cause harm to you. But you have to look at the bigger picture. I've never disposed of any asbedos in the past and probably wont again in a hurry, so the risk to me is minimal. I agree that if I spent all day taking/cutting asbedos then there would be a high risk.

As for being a pikey builder, I don't think so I run my own property maintenance company, there's just me so no room to be 'pikey'. I have plenty of customers and no one has ever complained about anything I've done, plenty of repeat work and recomendations.

I'll have the plane then thanks.

16. trustedman

trustedman New Member

Here are some more things for you to be scared of Goddo

1. Paint, it might have lead in it
    2. Lead, it does have lead in it
    3. MDF, nasty dust
    4. Electricity, causes cancer
    5. Granite, radioactive
    6. Mobiles, fry your brain

I could go on but, I'm getting bored

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I agree with you tim'll that a one off removal of a roof is no more dangerous than crossing the road, but how many times do we say "oh it's just a one off" ?
    Until the next time.
    Really, I do agree there is too much fuss over the occasional side.
    Perhaps you could liken it to smoking 20 cigs in your whole lifetime.

I think the big worry with asbestos is that unlike smoking (where if you give up your life expectancy canreturn to normal) asbestosis doesn't clear up after a few months.

And having said that I suppose if you smoked 20 roll-ups with asbestos dust in it, it would be safer than breathing the dust from the air(I'm ramblin' again, sorry)

On the other hand, you being a property maintenance mogul,
    you should really follow the same rules at home.
    For your own sake of course.

For what it's worth, I would take down my garage roof(if I had one that was asbestos)and take it to a tip that accepts it, and not worry too much about it.
    As a 'one-off' :)

Handyandy - really

18. trustedman

trustedman New Member

Hopefully I don't say it just a one off very often, if a customer asked me to take out asbedos, then they could whistle, but as its mine then i have to deal with the problem.

Agreed that asbedos dust is very harmful and permanent, my friends uncle died from it and I am well aware of the risks.

I just hate the fact that we seem to be moving to a situation where we are controlled by so much regulation, you don't seem to be able to do anything these days without paying some third party to insure you and if it does go wrong then everyone immediately wants to sue you.

19. Goddo

Goddo New Member

Hi HA

Have you ever met an owner property maintenance company, that wasn't a pikey or a chav? That's a loop-hole in company law it protects the dodgey.

Sorry Rigsby oops Tim I'll keep my plane don't think you'd know what it's for some how (clue you cannot fly to your pikey villa in it!)

Here are some more things for you to be scared of
    Goddo

Scared or sensible? Stick to your tarmacing son leave everthing else to the grown ups.

1. Paint, it might have lead in it
    2. Lead, it does have lead in it
    3. MDF, nasty dust
    4. Electricity, causes cancer
    5. Granite, radioactive
    6. Mobiles, fry your brain

I could go on but, I'm getting bored

Sorry but I don't do sweeping generalisations. You're a one man band probably don't get the time to do H&S, funny how everyone else does. Hmmmmm; Got it! you're here arguing instead of doing paperwork! Well Tim'pikey but simple! paper work IS boring welcome to the real world :)

20. trustedman

trustedman New Member

And what do you do then Goddo, sounds to me like you are an office waller at the council , you seem to know enough about H&S.

Now why don't you bend over so that I can stick this asbedos up your a**e.