Kitchen cabinet question

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Diydoug, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

We went with Mastercraft Kitchens of Warrington. Never again.

2. iainc

iainc New Member

As mentioned above - take them to small claims court for the remediation costs. The install is terrible. IMHO rather than you trimming up the wall units, they should have paid for new units and had them properly installed.

Diydoug likes this.
  3. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

We are awaiting their electrician coming to redo the wiring done by the original fitter and then another fitter will come to put the kitchen back together. Hopefully better than first time. We have been waiting weeks for this and the electrician was due today but "forgot" and went to the seaside! No reply from Mastercraft. I hope the rest of you guys treat your clients better.

4. I trust you've let them know that the original installation was nowhere near satisfactory quality, and pointed out the reasons why? And that any similar issues this time around will have you employing a proper craftsperson to put it right closely followed by a trip to the local CCourt...

Diydoug likes this.
  5. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

Day 2 of no show by electrician, no answer on his phone. Contacted Steve the company owner who sold us the kitchen who thinks we are "making problems for yourselves" by insisting on a proper electrician review as we should just be happy with the fitter's work. No need to take our kitchen apart for the electrician to see the wiring in his opinion so it is our fault for wanting the Part P certificates for all the rewiring, new lighting circuits, switches and plug sockets and we should just be happy with what we have...

6. I have to say I'm with businessman Steve on this one. How dare you expect proper certification when you employed and paid for professional sparkies to do the work - in accordance with current (presumably legal) guidelines... :rolleyes:

The irony is that I bet these same sparkies would be the first to squeal if they thought non-certified sparkies were doing this job and leaving the customers without certs, or even if they knew the customer was DIYing a kitchen rewire; "Hey, your fault for using cowboys - you should of used a pro like us, man..." (I'm assuming they are grammatically ignorant as well as generally so... :rolleyes: )

Perhaps it's time to let Mr Steve know that you've been seeking opinions on the quality of work from other tradespeeps, and you are on the verge of blowing this whole thing on one of the top (cough...) trade's forums on t'net if he don't get his finger oot pdq.

(Not mentioning you've already done so, of course... :oops:)

Diydoug likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

He is taking P*** with you .

Part P applies to any alterations or additions to the electrical installations of existing dwellings, including full or partial rewires.

Your not getting anywhere with this, could drag on for weeks, months, time for the small claim court.

8. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

We've been tempted to shout it loud and wide, social media etc but just want it sorted and as they already have a bad attitude we have not wanted to P them off more (yet). The fitter left 3 months ago and this has just been a draining experience trying to get things sorted, not sure we have the energy to go through small claims court etc. Sorry to high jack your forum, I did come here for advice and have just used it to winge! Thanks for the support.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Take photo's & plenty of them showing poor quailty of workmanship, faults, etc, & keep records of everything.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. Winge away - it's the least you deserve to be able to do.

You are being incredibly reasonable. Fortunately you are clearly more capable than the average person in making these mistakes good - really, Steve should appreciate this. Which he doesn't.

You sort this the way of least hassle to you. If it comes to it, tho', please feel confident that going 'Small Claims' either on-line or in your local CC is dead easy. And from you've shown us, you'd walk it.

Should it come to this, you need to do it properly, tho'. You outline in detail what all the faults were along with what you expect to have put right. (Add evidence of the ones you've sorted out yourself for them!). You use the wording suggested on the Citizen's Advice website. You then give the company a (dated) reasonable amount of time - ooh, 2 weeks? - to sort out all these issues once and for all. You explain that if they fail to do so you will arrange to have it done using alternative tradespeeps and will sue them for this cost. This letter gets delivered to them by recorded delivery.

If they fail to do this, you get in alternative pros, pay them for the work and then sue Stevie babes.

You'll win.

11. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

Thanks D.A. I appreciate the advice (from everyone on here).
    This is their last, last chance then we go through the courts I think.

12. Hopefully it won't come to that. But, if it threatens to, make sure you do it by the book.

Good luck, tho' - I hope you get it sorted without that hassle.