kitchen door -drilling hinge holes.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by vannquish, Sep 27, 2007.

1. vannquish

vannquish New Member

We have had our new kitchen doors especially made but they dont come with the pre-drilled holes.

I know I need a 35mm drill for the hinge hole. but can anyone tell me how far from the top and bottom of the door that these are drilled?

Thanks

2. Stretch

Stretch Member

If your hinge plates are already fitted on the carcase you need to mark a line on the carcase where the centre of the hinge is. Then offer the door up to the edge of the carcase at the height you need it to be, usually about 5mm underneath the worktop and transfer the lines to the door.

Then mark 22mm in from the edge of the door to get the centre of the 35mm hole. It may be worth measuring the positions at this stage then repeating this for every door if all the existing hinges are in their original position. It's a long process - I know - I've just upgraded two kitchens. One had 20+ doors and the other had 30+!!

If you have a bench drill it's easier but it can be done with a well charged cordless working on a flat surface. Use the packaging from the door to protect the front fascia and don't go too deep!!

Good luck

3. vannquish

vannquish New Member

Thanks for your reply. That answered a lot of my questions.

Could you recommend a suitable drill bit to do the job?

4. Stretch

Stretch Member

This is what you need to do the job. Align the point on your centre mark and start the drill slowly pushing firmly down. When you see it start to cut the 35mm hole and it's gone in a couple of mm, go to quite a high speed, keeping firm downward pressure and keep the drill straight without leaning one way or another.

Practice first on some scrap 18mm MDF or chipboard until you're confident.

Most DIY/hardware shops sell these or maybe your local Screwfix Trade Counter if you have one.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=JVKBXKPEUR4MSCSTHZOCFFY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fhsearch=35mm+hingecutter

5. vannquish

vannquish New Member

thanks for your help.

6. FIT-RITE

FIT-RITE New Member

drill a hole through scrape piece of wood and clamp this to the door where you are going to drill for the hinge this will stop the drill bit flying around

7. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

[Edited by: admin23]

8. kyia

kyia New Member

make a template ,take your time and make a template
    that way all the doors will align even if there all 1 mill out they will look perfect.if the carcasses are not marked for the hinge carriers make one for that as well .try one door and carcase first and if you pleased with the result ,do them like a production line . use a piece of ply for the template marke top and bottom and simply flip left or right.for the door template drill only a pilot hole not the 32 mm so as to allow acurate alignment of the center hole...good luck

9. russ295

russ295 New Member

10. vannquish

vannquish New Member

Thanks for that russ.

Looks well worth the money. :-D

11. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

12. russ295

russ295 New Member

no probs.

russ

13. Stretch

Stretch Member

Got myself a couple of those as well Russ. Think it was you who alerted us to those on this forum originally. Wouldn't be without them now!

14. cosworth

cosworth New Member

cheers russ, just got one of those myself.

15. russ295

russ295 New Member

i think i might hit the seller for commission!

russ

16. cosworth

cosworth New Member

russ ive got 2p in the post for you.spend wisely.

17. russ295

russ295 New Member

cheers mate,

you must have bought 2 then as every one else only sent me a penny.

russ:)

18. vannquish

vannquish New Member

Ive got one of those drill jigs.

Is there standard height that the hole is drilled at?

19. Stretch

Stretch Member

Usually about 75mm to 80mm from top and bottom of carcase, sometimes 90mm but never usually more than that