Kitchen fitting advice, please?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by DonnaItalia, Oct 28, 2014.

1. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

Hi all,

I've just had a new kitchen fitted - Howdens with 40mm oak worktops. A number of issues have arisen. 1. The worktops were not oiled underneath before installation and no moisture barrier was placed over the dishwasher and washing machine until I queried it. 2. Some of the wall tiles have exposed cut edges on the corners and some have been badly cut. Some of the floor tiles (there is a solid floor) are not level - by 2-3 mms. One tile came loose after 24 hours and was removed and replaced at my request but now the grout doesn't match the rest and it is not level. Some wall and floor tiles have been cut too short and infilled with grout. 3. A tiled step down into another room has been tiled up to the edge and an L-shaped strip of aluminium stuck on top. This is hazardous and has already come loose after 2 days. Is this the standard of workmanship that I should expect these days?

They are coming back for a second time today to discuss these problems. I want to give them the chance to put all this right (I haven't paid anything yet) but would appreciate advice about what I should do and what I can expect of them.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Ouch.

My first impression is that the standard is not at all pro. Ie - As an amateur, I would have done a significantly better job. Inaccurate tile cuts, broken unfinished edges, tiles cut short - that all smacks of an unskilled/inexperienced person.

Proper pros will be along to comment soon, I'm sure. Meanwhile, could you take a few photos from slightly further back so's we can see these areas as a whole?

Also, if the floor tiles as so uneven, could you try and take some shots as close to floor level as you can, looking along the floor to highlight the worst of these tiles.

Good job you ain't paid...

3. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

Thanks, Devils' Advocate. My initial feeling, too. Here are some more pics including the line of wall tiles next to the fridge that all have raw, cut edges. Any advice gratefully received...

Attached Files:

4. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

... and some more pics. The aluminium strip on the step has just fallen off!

Attached Files:

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

That is a terrible job, as DA said a good DIYer would produce a better standard of work, do not under any circumstances allow this to be left and do not pay on the promise of it being put right, be 100% happy with the work before you pay.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Whoever did the tiling, ISN'T a tiler, by any stretch of the imagination. Now we'll get to the worktops.. If they are solid wood, then they should have oiled them underneath before fitting them (believe me, there's problems down the line) Where the dishwasher is, there should be additional protection underneath the worktop (more problems which will become apparent in the months to come) Get them to put everything right to your satisfaction, before paying them. Honestly from the pictures you've posted, it's dire.

7. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

Thanks for you input, John and Phil. They've now placed a foil membrane above the dishwasher and washing machine, but they haven't oiled the underside of ANY of the worktops. Will this be a future issue with all the worktops or just the ones above appliances? If all of them, should I ask them to remove the worktops and oil them - if this is possible?

They are now coming on Thursday to 'sort' out these issues and I've asked them to bring along some extra boxes of tiles. I fear it might not end well ....:(

8. joinerjohn1

Solid wood worktops should be oiled underneath. Reason being, the timber will eventually start drying out on the un-oiled side and shrink very slightly, causing the worktop to bow. IMHO the worktop needs removing and oiling underneath. (usually two coats of oil) ;);)

9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Stevie Wonder probably can't tile. Could your tiler sing?
    The tops will have had some oil sprayed on from the factory. But they should be oiled before fitting. I never fit them with less than two coats. As long as the membranes cover the complete exposed areas you may be ok. Possibly.
    You should be able to oil under the overhang, and if the units do not have a solid top you can oil in there as well.

10. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

Hmm. I think I will be asking for them to be removed and properly oiled or I might regret it a few years down the line... Luckily I haven't been asked for ANY money at all yet - perhaps their admin is as bad as their tiling! Thank you for all your contributions. I now know I'm not just being picky :rolleyes:

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tiler! more like dreamer, now he does need to pay a visit to specsavers with some haste! :mad: I feel very sorry for you but be assured were not all like that.

12. joinerjohn1

I doubt he'd be able to find Specsavers. :p:p:p:p

13. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Your definitely not picky,that quality of workmanship is horrendous.
    I hope you get it sorted.;)

14. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

I'd be happy to tell him where to go!;)

15. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

That's your best option. You certainly don't need any rectification from these cowboys. If they want their money, meet them in court. Withe those photos, you can't lose.

16. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Love to see a photo of the whole kitchen.

17. plumberboy

I agree with that malkie,but that law says you have to give the company the chance to rectify their mistakes.;)

18. DonnaItalia

DonnaItalia Member

Yes - planning to do that. They've already 'rectified' some of it but with not much improvement:eek: Pics of whole kitchen attached.

Attached Files:

19. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Yeah, I suppose you are right Pb, so give them the chance and see if you are happy with the results....I can guess the results. :(

20. plumberboy

Yeah,I don't think their second try will be much of an improvement looking at their first efforts.:(
    As the going says "YOU CAN'T POLISH A T*RD":eek::eek::oops: