Kitchen floor concrete but dips

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Movieman334, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Movieman334

Movieman334 Active Member

Hi,

I would like to renovate my kitchen. Unfortunately the kitchen floor dips toward the center. Probably at about a 5 - 8 degree angle. So not a lot but noticeable.

There do not appear to be any visible reasons why.

I've had the property 2 years and it doesn't appear to have changed.

For refurbing the kitchen it will have to be leveled so the units can be installed properly.

My question is it worth investigating and if so how would i investigate without drilling through the floor?

Or if I have to level the floor with concrete is there anything that I should or shouldn't do?

Thanks

2. I take it this is a solid concrete floor and not a 'suspended' type?

Is it the original floor? (Sometimes suspended timber floors were filled in and replaced by concrete when rot or damp issues were found).

Are there any cracks in the floor - the concrete slab?

It could be subsidence (minor - ie chust in the slab itself) or it could have been a poor job in the first place.

If the former, I'd expect the slab to be cracked - it's hard for concrete to sink in the middle of a slab without breaking up!

Movieman334 likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If you need to level the floor, then use the product made for the job - this is superb stuff;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-ult...kg/4959f#product_additional_details_container

You cant really level a floor with concrete anyway. Closest thing would be a cement screed but then you have limitations on minimum thickness (may be around 20mm but I'm guessing) and you cant feather out the edges

As long as the existing floor isn't actually collapsing and is sound, although uneven, use the levelling compound. Will need to seal the existing concrete first using an SBR primer then away you go - whilst primer is tacky. Very easy to use, minimal prep, maximum pour in one go is 40mm, additional layers can be added if more depth required, you will be impressed for sure :)

More than likely the original floor is just uneven from the initial pour - good luck

Movieman334 likes this.
  4. Movieman334

Hi devils advocate .

Thanks for your reply.The property isn't a new build . Was built a out 1930 Ish. The rest of the property has suspended timber floor planks

I'm not sure if there are any cracks etc as there is vinyl (I think) over the top of co create floor. I think short of removing the vinyl . I won't be able to tell.

In saying that it will have to come off anyway .so if the concrete underneath is cracked. May I ask what you would recommend ?

5. I'm guessing that the kitchen would have had a suspended timber floor originally too, tho' there's a chance it was always concrete - perhaps to handle the weight of a solid fuel cooker or summat.

Anyhoo, what to do? Well I suspect it does come down to the state of the existing floor - eg if it was poorly done with a thin concrete slab and poorly packed substrate, then there's a chance it's still 'moving' so levelling it off might result in future cracks. I don't know.

However, if it is nicely solid and free from settlement movement cracks - ie it was just a poor, unlevel, job - then it should be fine with levelling.

I don't know what to recommend - I'm not a builder.

I guess what I would do in your position is to lift the vinyl to expose the concrete, and if I felt confident it was all pretty darned solid and unlikely to move any further, then I'd lay a DPM (to be certain of blocking rising damp) and screed on top with a suitable self-levelling compound.

Not sure what sort of DPM to recommend - plastic sheet or 'chemical' (like tanking slurry) - or the best levelling stuff.

You say it's sloping at around 5 to 8 degrees? How much lower is the floor at the centre - an inch or so?

Movieman334 likes this.
  6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've got a similar issue at my 1950's gaff, the concrete lounge floor slab has settled over time and its down may be an inch or two in one corner. There are no cracks as far as I can tell and its not moving any more, so I'll likely use levelling compound to bring it up level.

In your situation, you need to establish just what's going on; whether it is a fully concrete slab, whether its stable or is cracked and still subject to movement. The out come of that will determine what's best. If its cracked or still moving, it will need to be fixed properly or the slab removed and relaid. As the rest of the house is timber floor, I wonder if the kitchen timber floor was ripped out and this concrete slab laid poorly.

Movieman334 likes this.
  7. Movieman334

Hi diydave
    Hi DIY Dave

Thanks for your reply. I don't think the existing floor is collapsing as I've had the property for 2 years now and if it has moved its barely been noticeable.

I'm a total DIY novice so this seems do-able to me. So am i right in thinking I use the SBR primer first and then once that's settled i use the http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-ult...kg/4959f#product_additional_details_container

8. Movieman334

Its’ definitely a solid floor, I can’t imagine it was unlevel when it was first completed. So its possibly minor subsidence then over the years

will take pictures tonight

I’ve managed to find the surveyors report when I purchased the property, these were her comments

The vinyl floor finishes in the kitchen is damaged and needs replacing. Damp was noted where

the vinyl has split, we think this is due to water being dropped on the floor etc, but cannot rule out

the possibility that the damp proof membrane has failed. This can only be confirmed by removing

the vinal floor covering.

9. Regardless of whether a DPM was fitted when that slab was laid, you'd be nuts to not add your own at this stage.

The problem with damp coming through a concrete slab is that, once you have fitted a floor covering, any moisture coming up can't evaporate so instead sits there damp and mouldy and smelly and 'orrible.

Are you planning to remove the vinyl anyway? Hopefully you are - so then we'll have a better idea what we're dealing with.

If the slab has numerous cracks - suggesting it has sunk in t'middle but not so much at the sides - then I wouldn't consider that an unstable surface and likely to cause ongoing issues. Any DPM that was added when that slab was laid is also likely to have been breached in numerous places due to the movement.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep, sweep floor to remove surface dust and debris, doesn't need to be totally dust free as the SBR will seal and bind the dust, but get the worst off 1st

SBR looks like PVA, i.e., thick white gloopy glue looking stuff - more expensive but importantly didn't be tempted to use PVA - totally wrong product

Wickes sell a self levelling primer or S Fix and others sell SBR - just follow manufacturers instructions. Basically it's diluted as per instructions and brush on, allow to go tacky then poor levelling compound

Loads of previous posts on here re using self levelling compounds, have a read up but generally easy to use. Some require some trowelling to help level, some level by themselves - more or less. But yes, I'm diy also and this is a job you can do yourself

Buy a large plastic 'trug' (think they're called, like a large bucket used for garden waste and general building) and a cheap mixing paddle that will fit your electric drill. These items make mixing the compound a doddle (again follow M I)

When you say vinyl floor, is this vinyl tiles stuck down or vinyl sheet / Lino ?

11. Movieman334

Thanks for your replies guys. ok here are some pictures of the floor (sorry they aren't the greatest)

yep the vinyl floor will be removed

I'm thinking of removing vinyl floor and then back to bare concrete and then should i level floor lay new DPM and then new vinyl floor

Attached Files:

12. We'll know more when that flooring is removed.

Are they flexible vinyl 'planks', or rigid laminate?

Since the damp is at the lowest point, the cause could be anything - a washing machine leak would end up there, for example.

13. Movieman334

The dip is toward the center of the room. I think they are flexible probably glued down as they don't appear to have any room for movement in them

14. Movieman334

Hi all .

I've had a go at doing the floor myself and took on some bad advice and made a bit of a balls of it.

I cleared the floor and then did a tidy up. Then put down the floor levelling compound . sika level 30 latex ultra

I didn't put any DPM or anything else before. I now have the attached results and also parts of it aren't dry after 2 days.

Can anyone advise how I can get out of this mess ? Thanks

Attached Files:

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One you should have primed concrete floor prior to lay the compound,with SBR diluted with water up to 3 to 1 depending on how porous the floor is, or use a primer, like the Setcrete primer.

Movieman334 likes this.
  16. Movieman334

Thanks kiab. So how do i rescue myself drom thia monster ?

Also May I ask what the difference is between. SBR and setcrete?

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It will prob dry out. Is the room heated?

18. Movieman334

I've put the heating on in there and moreccracks appeared. But can keep it on if you recommend?

Are the cracks dangerous or risky ?

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What flooring are you planning to put down?

20. Movieman334

Vinyl or tiles