Kitchen Gutted - floors, walls & units gone. What order to complete?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by stitch-up, Nov 2, 2014.

1. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Hi guys

We've been busy gutting the kitchen - old floor tiles removed, skirting pulled off, wallpaper stripped, units removed. We're left with a horrible looking space :(

So we have a lot to do but wonder what would be the best order to do the work? Electrics, plumbing, flooring, skirting ...... I really don't know but I guess getting the order right will make things easier :)

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Electrics and plumbing (work out where new kitchen units are going, so electrics and plumbing are in the right place) . Flooring then kitchen units in. Skirting after everything is in. If your tiling the floor, you might want to do this after the base units are in (saves tiling right under units, although you'll want tiles where freestanding appliances are going , w/machine, cooker etc)

3. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Assuming your name's John :) (so is mine), thanks for the reply.

I was going to do electrics and plumbing first so at least I would have got something right :) I would have done the floor next, and then base units on top - wrong?

Is there a 'standard' height at which power sockets should be mounted? The reason I ask is that if I'm sinking sockets in the wall before I put the units in, I want to get it right.

Thanks

John

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I'd set the wall sockets at 1050mm from the floor (bottom of socket to floor) . That way they'll be around 150mm from the worktop once it's in. ;);)

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you do set the base units in before tiling, make sure you allow enough room for free standing appliances to fit after you have tiled.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do the electrics first if it involves chasing out.

The standard height for kitchen base units is 870mm, with a 40mm worktop that would bring the total height to 910mm.

When I design electrics for a kitchen I usually set the sockets according to the height of any tiles that will be fitted. I usually put a 3mm spacer at the bottom so that the tiles aren't sitting directly above a worktop.

7. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Thanks for the info and tips, it really is appreciated.

John

8. Your call on whether you do the floor before (ie the whole floor) or after (up to and around the units) - there are pros and cons for both.

Actually, only one 'con' I can think of for doing it first and covering the whole floor - a little extra cost. Other than that, it's pros pros pros for fully flooring the whole kitchen in my view.

9. Much easier.
    Allows for layout flexibility.
    Just looks better.
    And stuff...

10. falcon50

falcon50 New Member

Much better to tile the floor first, and if you want to save a few tiles lay them so they give a decent overlap under all the units without having to go right to the wall.