Kitchen lights tripping all the house electricty

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Brandon1307, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Hi Guys

I need some help guys.
    I have 6 spots on my kitchen ceiling, 3 at the front and 3 further up the back.
    When i switch the 3 up the back on, all the electrity in the house trips of. Both RCD trip down.
    It is a new fuse box that was fitted about a year ago, the electrtian who fitted it, his number is dead.
    I have included a photo of the fuse box, after the RCD have tripped... when i take the bulbs out the ceiling, and flick the switch, nothing trips, i checked the switch, wiring looks fine...should all he electricity in the house be blowing, something tells me it should only be the fuses protected by that one RCB ...Any advice is much appretiated guys...

Attached Files:

2. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

It is an old wooden cladding ceiling, i managed to get the first spot light down and checked the wireing, it looked good.
    The other 2 spots are well stuck in place, i before i pull the cladding to pieces, to access the other 2 spots to check the wireing ,i will wait for some advice...but my gut tells me its a fuse box problem, maybe i am wrong..

3. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Take out the bulbs and see if it still trips without bulbs in the fittings.

tore81 likes this.
  4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I'm only DIY, but...
    If it was only a year ago, should that have not been a metal box consumer unit to conform to new regs? That looks plastic to me. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with plastic, but if it was fitted when it shouldn't have been perhaps that is an indication that all was not well with your electrician? Did he give you a test certificate?

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Regards,

Cando

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Is it tripping full down or half down?

And when you press the "test" button" where does that trip it to, half or full?

6. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Does not trip with the bulbs out mate..

7. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Tripping full down, when should i press the test button...warning silly replys likely !!

8. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Gumtree electritian, lot of good guys on gumtree, maybe i got a not so good one...you guessed it no test certificate..
    Anybody in the Glasgow Bishopbriggs area like a job...thanks for the reply mate

9. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Replace each bulb one at a time and try it until it trips. When it does swap the bulb in that fitting for a known good one and see if it still trips if it does you know you have a problem with the light fitting.

Process of elimination(illumination lol) as we call it.

tore81 likes this.
  10. Pollowick

Reset the RCD, keep lights OFF and then press it.

Try it one bulb at a time. If one causes it to trip and not others, try that bulb in other fittings.

What type of bulbs are they? LED, Halogen, Standard reflector?

11. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Thankyou for the replys guys ..much appretiated.
    but i think i might be needing a better electrtian,...If anyone can help me out this week at all, much appretiated..

Brian

12. Pollowick

Try the suggestions - you may find a way to have some light and then be able to tell the electrician what "you think the problem might be" tomorrow when it will be easier to contact any of them.

13. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Right away to replace each bulb one by one...Halogen, the ones that heat up far to easily, but the lights dont get used much, even when they do, its only for a few minutes...i hate them..Will reset RCD also, back shortly..

14. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Tried each bulb one at a time, each one when screwed in, tripped both RCD, i tried resetting them,one will stay up, but the other one on the right, wont it just comes down..i dont want to rip that ugly ceiling cladding down, just in case it is something else, as much as i hate the sight of it, but if need be, i will at some point, maybe not in 20min mind you lol

15. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Thanks mate, all i can tell them, it is definetly the end kitchen light thats tripping everything..lol

16. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is the light fitting fault.

I hate sparks that wire fittings in so that it become inaccessible after the job has been complete. It's bad design work but hey people do it just the same as spark chasing in the flex cable to a heating system so that if it needs repair the wall has to come apart to change or repair it.
    There was a time when people took pride in their workmanship, NOT pride in meeting the regs word for word.

And to break the silence of tumble weed rolling by....

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  17. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Yes it does, i might have to bite the bullet, and pull my lovely 1990s cladded ceiling down to get these last 2 lights down to check the fittings, but when you have a livingroom full of ikea boxes..my hearts not in it lol...

18. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Well pulling a common sparkie into the mix means his heart won't be in it either. He only wants the check at the end of the job, as they say if you want the job done properly you have to do it yourself.
    Sounds like you are overwhelmed with the job, break it down to bite sizes it makes it easier to digest.

Totally depends on the light fitting but one could tare the light fitting to pieces without damaging the surrounding area and try fit a new one without having to tare down your 90's cladded ceiling. Totally depends on what kind of light fitting it is and what you can replace it with.

19. Brandon1307

Brandon1307 Member

Your so right mate...but i think i will do it differently from my usual approach, which normally means starting something and just thinking on my feet as i go along, not even going up the ladders till i have a fair idea how i am going to tackle it....i like your thinking "Break it down to bite size to make it easier"...it must be one of them 2 fittings, if once the bulbs are screwed in, they trip everything...anyway thanks to everyone for your suggestions, if i do indeed need a sparkie, at least he wont have to pull down a 90s cladded ceiling, i would already have done it lol..thanks again, keep yous posted on how i get on...

Regards
    Brian

fire likes this.
  20. Mr Milliamp

Mr Milliamp Member

Sounds like a borrowed neutral if both RCDs going down