Kitchen mixer tap , flow rate

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by -chippy_john, Mar 6, 2007.

1. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

I've fitted a new mixer tap (single hole) to kitchen sink but the flow rate of the hot water is poor.

Hardly surprising really as the supplied flexipipe that fits the tap only has a bore of about 6mm.

My hot water is from a standard system boiler/HW cylinder,(cold is from the mains) so what sort of specification/name/(whatever) should I be looking for on a mixer tap if I were to replace this one with one that actually supplies some water?

2. morbius

morbius New Member

Monobloc taps fitted on a gravity system are problematic, the pipes are too restrictive.

A 2 tap set up or a 2 hole mixer would be more practical.
    But then you would need a new sink, or need to make 2 more holes if possible.

Another option would be to fit a single impellor pump to your hot supply

3. > Hardly surprising really as the supplied flexipipe
    that fits the tap only has a bore of about 6mm.

change the flexi for a copper tail with larger bore

4. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

change the flexi for a copper tail with larger bore

I don't think that will make any difference, the flexi supplied with the tap screws into the base of the monobloc and so the threaded part of the tap governs the bore of the pipe.

I'm quite prepared to change the tap if there is one particular design which will work better than others.

The pump is also an option to consider, I'd wondered if there was such a thing.

Where would that be fitted, near to the tap or just anywhere in the system? It presumably needs a 240v power supply? Can someone tell me more?

5. bigmike

bigmike New Member