Kitchen Radiator, replacement, does it need anything added

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

As many will know, the landlord have decided to give us a bigger kitchen, (All is going well IAF)

Since the contractor will be replacing the kitchen rad with a new Part P & the boiler is only 4yrs old

Does it need any inhibitor or other suitable product added / replaced ??

The contractor has only drained / removed the rad & capped off the the old pipework so we can still have heating

I am sure he knows, but I would like piece of mind either way

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If he's had to drain the system then yes a fresh dose of inhibitor should be added to the completed system,
    If any significant alteration had been made to the pipework it should be chemically flushed first.

3. Welshdragon1

AFAIK

The whole system isn't required to de drained

He will need to extend the pipework approx 1 Metre at most, before installing the new rad

4. Dave does Gas

To do that he will need to drain down, unless he's committed the cardinal sin of fittin ballofix valves.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Welshdragon1

Not sure as yet, exactly, but why is fitting ballofix valves a cardinal sin ??

6. Dave does Gas

Restrict flow

7. Welshdragon1

Oh..... I see, as I originaly didn't think that would be the cause of the cardinal sin (however one lives & learns) ;)

8. David Clutter

David Clutter New Member

I don't think the whole system required to be de drained and if any significant alteration had been made to the pipework it should be chemically flushed first.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even full bore ones.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

cardinal sin or no, its very often done, if the pipe are in an area where spilling a bit of water wont matter, like in a new extention with work going on then its very easy for the plumber to 'snatch' 2 ballofix valves on, there is no restiction at all if your reducing to 10mm pipe, if your using 15 the restriction is no more than in the 15mm rad valve you're going to fit, so i would't worry about restriction but they don't look very nice if on show, if they boxed in or hidden, there's no problem that i can see, :)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Phew!:D

I extended the pipe work to the outside bog & old coal house which I converted to a utility room, so fitted a pair of full bore ballofix, so I could isolate that part of system.
    Luckily they are hidden under sink unit & kick board is just clip on, if I need access.

Don't usually use them.

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the acid question KIAB, does it work?:confused:

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes.

Only one small problem ended up having to drain whole system, as my Freezemaster died.:(

Going to change a few other radiators around the house, present one in bedrooms are old & over size, each bedroom has a 6' radiator.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015