Kitchen Tiles pushing out - possible leak?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by mattdragon2, Feb 10, 2014.

1. mattdragon2

mattdragon2 New Member

In my kitchen, the tiles near the sink started to push out and no longer align. A couple of them have fallen off.

What could cause this to happen?

It only appears to be the tiles where my sink/window is. No other tiles have pushed out.

If I place the tile against where it was meant to be, there is now a gap too, like somehow the wall has expanded.

I have took a picture. As you can see there are now gaps between the tiles and a couple have fallen off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

who did the ''tiling'' ?

3. mattdragon2

mattdragon2 New Member

No idea as I only recently moved in and this started to happen. Wondering what damage has been done and what I need to do to fix it.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This is more than likely due to water damage and specifically, water getting behind the tiles and causing them to blow

You need to remove all loose tiles, scrape of all tile adhesive and loose material from wall to give a reasonably flat surface

Clean off all tile adhesive from backs of tiles. If difficult to remove try soaking in hot water for an hour or two

Fix tiles onto prepared surface using good quality, waterproof tile adhesive, full bed of adhesive using a notched trowel

Next day grout, again using good quality waterproof grout

What Sean is hinting at is that the tiles look to have been poorly fitted in the first place.
    You may be wise to remove all tiles and start from fresh doing a "proper job"

FatHands likes this.
  5. mattdragon2

mattdragon2 New Member

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. It has only recently started to happen, does that mean there is a water leak somewhere and the water is getting behind the tiles from somewhere Ie kitchen or bathroom?

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Well Matt,
    Your pipe theory is a possibility, pipes can be burried in the wall, although unlikely in this position due to the window

More than likely water getting behind the tiles over a period of time and only now it's become apparent

There only needs to be a small area of loose grout, or cracked or missing grout that will allow water to get behind the tiles and slowly cause damage, resulting in the tiles blowing, eventually
    May also be a damaged silicon seal although the bottom row of tiles seems ok

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

don't panic - rip them all off - but don't replace them until you've monitored the state of the structure behind for a week or so

you might find that there's water creeping in under the window

FatHands likes this.
  8. mattdragon2

mattdragon2 New Member

Thanks for all your advice, I shall give it a go. It's been raining a lot so it could be water creeping in under the window.