Kitchen worktop overhang

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Fazzle, May 1, 2017.

1. Fazzle

Fazzle New Member

Hi all we are massive DIY amateurs having just moved into our first house with our young family. we would just would like a bit of advice on worktops. We are 'simply' looking to replace the worktops on our existing kitchen and have few things we are unsure of.

1. firstly we are not replacing the tiles. the tiles have been laid to sit 'on top' of the worktop. are we right in thinking we should stick to a 28mm thickness as per what is there now to make things easier? will the tiles get damaged when we remove the old worktop?

2. the worktop we like is from ikea. it's 625mm deep whereas our kitchen is a standard fit, with a 600mm worktop currently in place. Will this be too big an overhang?

3. if we go for the 625mm ikea worktop, is our oven (free standing with electric hob) going to look odd as the worktops each side will be sticking out quite a bit. At the moment they are kinda flush. I could pull the oven out slightly so that it is level with the new worktops but this would create a small gap between the oven and the wall???

Actually fitting the worktops doesn't seem to be overwhelming as its a galley kitchen with three straight disconnected areas of workspace. there are only two straight cuts needed (and the sink which comes with a guide).

help?? :)

2. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Howdens worktops are 616mm deep, I've just fitted a howdens kitchen and the owners are having granite worktops fitted which will be 630mm deep, it will look fine.
    I see what you're saying about the cooker, if you had any spare tiles, or could buy tiles in a similar colour, you could screw an appropriate size batten to the wall and tile over it to take up the gap.

3. Fazzle

Fazzle New Member

Thanks, we don't want to start attempting tiling if we can help it. We are complete novices lol

could we use some quadrant the same colour as the wooden worktop to run along the wall and then covering the oven gap? Would this be safe??

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

If it's a free standing cooker, the worktop should ideally have metal trims on the end, not just as decoration but as a heat shield, so a silver coloured metal trim at the back would be ideal.
    I wouldn't recommend a plastic trim. B & Q have a rack of that sort of thing.

Fazzle likes this.
  5. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

The tiles shouldn't get damaged when you remove the old worktop. You could cut down the back edge of the new worktop so that it's the same depth as the old one. As the tiles sit on top of that edge it would give you a little margin for error with your cut too.

6. Fazzle

Fazzle New Member

Thanks! Yeah it has those at sides already. I'll have a look in b&q.

The mainreason we want the ikea ones is that it's hard to find 28mm worktops in a wood grain effect anywhere that don't cost the earth. It's just a bit of a hassle.

7. Fazzle

Fazzle New Member

Thanks, how would I do that? Is it possible for a novice?

8. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Yes it's possible for you :)
    Mark a line at the back of the worktop that's the right depth from the front edge. You'll need a nice long straight edge to mark the line.
    It's a good idea to then score along the line with a stanley blade as this will help prevent the veneer from chipping when you cut it.
    Then cut along the line on the waste side of the scored line. You can use a decent hand saw for this if you don't have a circular saw with a decent blade. Being 28mm thick a handsaw shouldn't be too hard, just go steady and true.
    If you are going to use a circular saw, turn the worktop upside down and cut from that side.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You sure its 28mm? and not 30mm? there are loads of places selling reasonably priced 30mm worktops. Personally I would stick to 600mm if thats what's there. As others have said, you should be able to replace without touching the tiles. you MAY be able to make the job slightly easier if your units are on screw-jack legs - you might be able to remove the plinth, slacken the unit fixings to the wall off and lower the units slightly. Depends whats there and how its installed. Having said that, there often isn't so much tiling in a kitchen, and it isn't that difficult - little diamond wheels make short work of cutting, and the small areas usually found in a kitchen are probably best tiled with small format which are very forgiving. If you like the tiles, OK, but if you hate them, bite that bullet - lots of help here :)