Kitchen worktops.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by masterdiy, Apr 4, 2016.

1. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Got 2 new worktops supplied, delivered, and set direct to garage on lots of wooden timbers.
    2 weeks later the fitting day arrived.
    Unwrapping the plastic off and find lots of very small swirls of scratches.

Fortunately most of the scratches were where the cuts outs were to be, so a lot of jiggling with measurements and looked reasonable.

Unable to ring supplier as was a Sat morning.
    So no real choice but to carry on and fit.

Both worktops were quite bad.
    Monday morning rang the said supplier, and basically they didn't want to know.

Should have reported the fault within 48hrs.

So left with a "Seconds", type worktops which just had to go in.

Felt really let down by supplier but heh ho thats life. Or something like that.

Still feel very let down & annoyed.

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Should have inspected them as soon as delivered and signed the delivery sheet saying they were of unacceptable quality and sent them back with the delivery driver.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Some companies don't even offer 48hrs.

I ah some doors delivered and needed signing for, couldn't sign as 'unchecked'.

i assume they are solid wood worktops?

4. masterdiy

J, 38mm laminated in jet black.
    In hind sight I should have checked them better than I did.

But you could not see the problem till turned up on the benches in the light.

Anyone know how to polish out said scratches? They are only light, but with Halogens beaming down on them makes it show up.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is it hi gloss?

6. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Get this all the time with customers, they have a kitchen delivered and are no where near ready for it to be fitted.
    Work tops get stored in the garage for a few weeks/months.
    Come the fitting time work tops get opened and hey presto big chips out the front edges, kitchen suppliers are not interested ad the terms clearly say all items should be checked and any faults reported within a certain timescale. Normally 24 to 72 hours.

7. masterdiy

J
    No, Its a mat black.

8. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

I am sorry, but I think it's a lost cause. Because you say they are barely visible I think any attempt to repair the surface would only make it worse. I would say matt black is hard at the best of times because any attempt to remove the marks will result in it going slightly glossy. I am afraid I think you should either consider replacing the worktop or just living with the minor blemishes.

9. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

Who was the supplier anyway