Knocking through.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by gswainyboy, Feb 6, 2016.

1. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Hi all. I am thinking of knocking through bathroom and toilet. Q1 Is there a definite way of telling if it is a supporting wall ? and Q2 One or other door will be blocked off. As the project will be cost dependant can you tell me the cheapest way to do this/get it done ? All advice and suggestions much appreciated

2. Simon74

Simon74 Member

Best to get SE to look at it, but to get an idea check what walls are directly above. From my experience split bathroom/toilet walls are not, but best to check first before knocking it down. Hard to price something without seeing it, but if it isn't load bearing I'd say a day labour, a breaker and a skip....and a lot of dust. Most of expense will be making good after, tiling, plastering, altering lights etc.

3. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'd be checking if The wall may is supporting another wall, or if joists rely on it for support or hangers/purlins rely on it to transfer loads to the founds

4. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Thanks for the reply and info Simon. i didnt word it very well or give all the info that I should. We live in a bungalow and there are no walls above it in the loft, just joists that run across in the same direction as the wall. Also, I had hoped to remove the wall myself and the question really was the cheapest way to block in the doorway if I had removed all the architrave etc. sorry again for my lack of info the first time. thanks again. Graham

5. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Thanks for the reply. not sure if my latest post has given more useful info. thanks again.graham

6. "...there are no walls above it in the loft, just joists that run across in the same direction as the wall."

As you clearly suspect, it's almost certain that this ain't structural or supporting.

I will not go as far as saying I am 100% certain, 'cos that would be silly.

But I'm 99.99997% sure.

7. What's the wall made from? Block or studwork?

Either way, once it's down and you look up at the bare, exposed strip at the ceiling, then you will know for certain.

Actually, can you tell where the wall is from up in the loft? Can you post a photo of this?

8. Simon74

Simon74 Member

I've just done this in a bungalow renovation, check where the timbers supporting the roof sit and most likely the wall is built on the floor boards as is often the case in older properties. You could acro the joists above as a precaution. In bungalows non load bearing walls are often a bit narrower than the structural walls. Blocking up can be a pain of it was built out of 3" wide blocks, if this is the case use a timber frame.

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When you have solid internal walls, even though they may not be supporting things above they may be forming a buttress effect on the external wall at 90 degrees. Much like putting in piers in garden or garage walls

10. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

I see what you mean sospan. I have been in loft and the wall runs parallel and around midway between two joists. I have calculated the wall to be around 3" thick so , as Simon74 said about the other wall with the redundant doorway. Based on all this I am now confident that it is not a supporting wall so will proceed ( With care, a mask and the missus :mad: out somewhere !!! ) to remove wall when I am ready. Thanks for all the advice and info and I will let you know how it goes.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sounds like you are planning to have fun ....

12. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Hi.Pics attached showing position of wall in relation to eaves and pic of what I now think is probably the end of the wall between the two doorways. I think more care may be needed when removing the wall as the RH door is remaining (Hopefully !!!!!!!!)

Attached Files:

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Your joists are running parallel to your walls so looks like you can get your sledge hammer warmed up! :)

14. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

|Hi CGN. Mmmm.... its the missus tongue getting warmed up when she sees me with the sledge thats on my mind at the moment. Probably seems a bit over the top for a project like this but I may need the hardhat !!!! :eek:

15. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Morning all. Just had another thought on bathroom/toilet into one. I am moving the pan and in doing so I am going to cut off the soil stack in the loft and use an AA Valve instead (Next to pan). As I am going to fit an extractor fan is there any reason why it shouldnt be ceiling mounted and connected to the soil stack stub in the loft via flexi and vented that way ? Any thoughts on this ?

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Ha ha...yep, the joys of DIY. Keep the job tidy and she'll be ok...ish ;)
    Reg extractor, can't think of a reason not too other than being vertical, you may get a bit of rain come down the pipe depending on the vent at the top.

17. Are you really planning to use a sledgie for this? Don't you have an SDS drill with a chisel bit - just tackle the mortar joints?

Anyhoo, enjoy...

Now't wrong with using the existing vent pipe for your extractor, with CGN's proviso. Does it have a rain cowl - probably not. Can you get up there to fit one?

Another source of water will be condensation if extracting from a shower or bath - the steam will condense in the cold vent pipe and come trickling back down to zap your extractor fan.

Not sure what the solution is - tho' I'm sure there are plenty. Would an in-line extractor help (not sure why it should!)?

I think having it on over-run for a few minutes when showers and baths have been run would be good - give it plenty time to dry oot yer pipes.

18. gswainyboy

gswainyboy Active Member

Thanks both. Firstly, I have decided to drop the missus in the town (She cant drive so she wont be able to get back til I pick her up), then using a few small sticks of low-impact gelly ! (May not be the tidiest way CGN but I bet it would be the quickest !) re the venting I am using a timed fan with overrun so it will continue after source of steam has stopped so am thinking it should be OK. I will also check cowling to ensure no water can get in. Thanks again.