knotting solution substitute

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by slovenianian, Mar 21, 2014.

1. slovenianian

slovenianian New Member

Hi.

I am new to the forum so apologies if this question has been asked before.

I live in Slovenia and am currently renovating an old house.

I have put in MDF skirtings which I started by staining but was unhappy with the finish. I then undercoated with Dulux undercoat and painted with Dulux Satinwood. Very happy now.

However I have just hung a couple of pine doors, the intention was to stain these but I now think this will look odd against the painted skirting so have decided to paint.

I know I should use knotting solution but after visiting two local paint suppliers today I was told in no uncertain terms that no such product exists. Sadly this is a normal response to most questions here.

One of the shops did have shellac but they laughed when I asked if I could use this to treat knots. They told me that there is no way of stopping knots bleeding as the wood is a living thing and knots need to breathe and bleed. Some of this may have got lost in translation!

My question is can I use shellac on it's own to treat the Knott's or is there another method? I have read about aluminium based primers but don't hold out much hope of finding them here.

Many thanks!

2. Is your name Ian?

Anyways, I can't answer your Q I'm afraid as I chust don't know.

However, assuming you've painted your skirtings and architrave white, I can't see why your pine doors shouldn't look great against this. White and 'wood' look superb together imo.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

:p, just googled shellac, it come up with nail polish, but I take it it's a form of natural resin.

4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

are you referring to shellac flakes, or a pre-mix? either way, yes you can, knotting solutions are shellac based anyway.
    If you mean shellac flakes, then you'll want a de-waxed type to stop any reaction to the paint, blonde flakes are most common, use these with meths with around a 2:1 ration ( meths:flakes)
    If pre mix, again just make sure it's a dewaxed solution, some make what they call a sanding sealer which would be ideal.

5. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Hallo. First of all, I must admit that I am not a painter, so can only tell you of my own experiences. Many years ago, I was told , probably in a DIY magazine, that knots should be treated before painting. In those days, Shellac was the accepted method. I had some pieces of solid shellac, which I disolved in methylated spirits. When this had turned into a thick solution, I applied it to the knots and when it was dry , I painted over it. That was over 30 years ago and no signs of the knots have shown through....Please make your own mind up. :)

6. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

No, he was typing his name 'Slovenian' - then his phone started ringing, he spent 10 minutes on the phone and forgot he'd already put the I-A-N so typed it again. Just a human error he's called Rick.

7. slovenianian

slovenianian New Member

Skirtings are one of the Dulux Georgian Heritage colours, can't remember the name but sort of beigey mushroomy colour. I have a feeling that the doors would look out of place if stained and to be honest I'm so happy with the finish of the Dulux satinwood on the mdf that I'm happy to go with it on all the woodwork. After living in houses all my life with randomly painted doors and woodwork it would be nice to have some consistency for once.

My initial reason for getting pine doors was that I could stain them to keep the natural grain visible as I have taken down the ceilings and exposed all the beams in a kind of cathedral effect but the MDF just wouldn't take the stain very well. Also reading a lot of threads on various forums this evening that staining pain can be a bit of a pain. I have stained plenty of pine in the past back in the UK but it is very difficult to identify the correct products here.

8. slovenianian

slovenianian New Member

Many thanks for the advice. I have read that shellac and methylated spirit is basically what knotting solution is so will have a look for some meths tomorrow, maybe in the wife's sock draw! People here use a product called "Nitro" for paint thinning and cleaning brushes etc but I don't think it is meths based. I will check there website, should be some info on there hopefully.

9. slovenianian

slovenianian New Member

Hmm. Just looked on the Helios site who make Nitro. Lots of information, all in English but none of it very helpful. Welcome to Slovenia!

10. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

could you not order knotting solution or sanding sealer from the likes of amazon or ebay with someone offering worldwide delivery?

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Hi Ian, (if that's your name), can I just say, how well you write the English language, better than most on here, me included. :p

12. plane-it

plane-it Member

13. malkie129

If I remember from my model aeroplane days, dope was acetone based. Not used for sealing the wood, but for stretching the tissue covering. :(

14. plane-it

plane-it Member

It also seals very well. ~Another good sealant is thin Cyno (super glue) glue.

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if you had an IC engine in it you might remember what nitro was used for as well

16. malkie129

My engine wasn't a glow plug, so I used ether in mine. ;)

17. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

Enya didn't just sing :)

18. malkie129

You've lost me on that one Sean. Enya...Orinoco Flow ? I'm a bit slow tonight. :(

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

she had a sideline, making IC engines for RC, not all quite as pretty as this stunning pair

[​IMG]

20. malkie129

Bloody Hell ! They make my old Frog 150 look pretty prehistoric !!! :(