Knotting

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by LuceJ, Aug 4, 2017.

1. LuceJ

LuceJ New Member

We are installing thin tongue and groove cladding to the walls of our bathroom, a diy job. It is pine with some knots. I've treated the knots with Colron Knotting Solution - it has a dark brown staining colour. I plan to paint over this with water-based primer and water-based eggshell / satin paint in white. I'm now worried that the Colron stain will show through the white paint. Does anyone know anything about this - are my fears unfounded, will the paint stay white? Thank for any answers.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shouldn't have any problems, it's a clear liquid & dries clear, some peeps do give knots a second coat, but I've only have used one coat,& no problems.

3. LuceJ

LuceJ New Member

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Doesn't help you now I realise but next time,( if there is a next time) !

Instead of individually doing each knot, give the entire surface a coat of Zinnster 123. This will knot, prime and undercoat all in 1 hit. Leave a nice solid white background for your topcoat so saves time and money (although the 123 is pricy)

Very resinous wood may need 2 coats

Depending on the opacity of your topcoat, it may indeed need several coats to cover the brown knotting solution. This isn't necessarily the knots bleeding through, just the dark brown of the solution

If this does appear to be a problem, just spot prime the knots with 123, as also acts as a stain bloc - very good stuff (clean brushes in meths, only downside)

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sorry Luce, not thinking straight

Its Zinnster BIN you want (not 123)

It's in a red tin, in case you decide to use :)

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Try Ronseal Knot Block Wood Primer and Undercoat, cheaper than the Zinster BIN, & that Coloron knootting dries clear apparantly.

But, I prefer using Barrettine White Knotting, it's a translucent knotting solution.

7. LuceJ

LuceJ New Member

8. LuceJ

LuceJ New Member

Thank you @DIYDave. I realised the advantages of the white all-over knot blocks just a bit too late! However, I' have painted on the first coat of white undercoat and the individually-painted knot block 'measles' aren't showing through too dramatically. Unexpected problem now of course is that the white wall is so white that it makes the bath look grey by contrast!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some of the white can be bright, I'm using Johnstones Aqua water based satin brilliant white here & it is certianly brilliant white, makes the white under coat look dull.:D

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use a 'white' paint for a less harsh finish rather than brilliant white. Dulux do both in the Trade range. ;)

11. LuceJ

LuceJ New Member

Yeah we're veering dangerously close to an F&B topcoat now to get a more muted white @Astramax. Don't want the bath to look old!

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A bit late now.:D

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Do it again, then go and sit on the naughty step and leave a space for LuceJ. :p:)

KIAB likes this.
  14. LuceJ

LuceJ New Member

Yes it does feel exceedingly naughty to even contemplate F&B @KIAB

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Give yourself a big treat and Google 'Little Greene Paint & Paper', F & B coooouuuggghhhh!;)

KIAB likes this.
  16. LuceJ

LuceJ New Member

Just googled them they are absolutely lovely @Astramax

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Trouble is Luce they are as you say 'absolutely lovely'............the only thing I have ever found that's even more lovely than KIAB :eek::rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2017-8-5_9-13-29.gif upload_2017-8-5_9-14-53.gif

19. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use aluminium wood primer to stop knots. To date nothing else has worked for me long turn