L shaped flat/mono pitched

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by TerryTibs, Sep 30, 2016.

1. TerryTibs

TerryTibs New Member

What's the best joist layout for a hipped l shaped flat roof?
    If I use firring how do I make the hipped part?

If I go down the route of a mono pitch around 10 degrees, can I just do a cut roof?

2. TerryTibs

TerryTibs New Member

Should have also said roof is 5x9m and 4x15m (smallest value is on the fall) so it's not a massive.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sorry, I don't quite understand the question. Is the roof flat or Hipped

4. TerryTibs

TerryTibs New Member

[​IMG]
    L shaped hipped but with a low pitch it's basically a flat roof (around 10degrees)

5. TerryTibs

TerryTibs New Member

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

So is it built or you want to build it ?

7. TerryTibs

TerryTibs New Member

Red lines are proposed new roof.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Without seeing the site or what the restrictions are, I would think of something like this as a starting point

upload_2016-9-30_20-11-13.png

With some trusses and then cut the hip rafters etc.

upload_2016-9-30_20-12-38.png

9. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'm doing similar and I'm thinking of flat joisting all the shortest lengths. Then over the top running fitting pieces from east to west direction and having a drip edge to gutter off the flat roof at the western most red line on your drawing if that makes sense.

10. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Ps , mine will be a single story extension so the main roof is unaffected, I abut against brick walls and will insert cavity trays

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What pitch is the existing hipped roof? Where the hip on the existing terminates into your proposed new roof, could you not just bring the new roof up to the same level, taper it down using firrings (or keep the same pitch as your existing), and construct a diminishing or tapering valley rather than a hip. So invert the hip, basically....?

12. TerryTibs

TerryTibs New Member

Existing roof is 34 degrees, new roof will be higher then the existing soffit height so I was going to either do a parapet or do a large over hang. I don't really want to re-roof the whole lot as ridge height will be higher than original so would need planning.

[QUOTE="BMC2000, post: 1448633, member: 149096"Then over the top running fitting pieces from east to west direction and having a drip edge to gutter off the flat roof at the western most red line[/QUOTE]
    That would mean, for this roof, a 15m firring or 9m going top to bottom.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You are probably going to need planning due to the size and building control

14. TerryTibs

TerryTibs New Member

You are correct, I already have planning permission and it was a pig to get so I not going back to make amends :D

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Wouldn't the planning permission have defined the shape of the roof and then BC will confirm how its going to be implemented ?

16. TerryTibs

TerryTibs New Member

Planning application shows a flat roof and building control is on a notice.