L Shaped Kitchen - allowable tolerance for 90deg

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by MowdieWark, Jul 7, 2015.

1. MowdieWark

MowdieWark New Member

Hope someone can advise me.

I decided to try and fit my own kitchen (well, the wall units and base units) and have successfully fitted the wall units. However, it looks the builder who built my extension didn't know how to use a set square or spirit level! and the walls where the L shape meets is not a perfect right angle (is probably out by about 2deg.

Therefore, I have held fire on fixing the wall units as I'm worried that when someone comes to join my 90deg work tops, he will struggle because of the no so perfect right angle.

My question is: does a worktop have to be perfect right angles to be successfully joined or can the worktop be joined at any angle? My alternative is to join the base units at perfect right angles and then get a plasterer to build the wall out at the back of the base units.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Now die, get that all the time when I used do kitchens. Join work top chop out and let work top into wall a bit, jobs a goodun.

3. Owain

Owain Member

worktop can be joined at any angle (and scribed to fit a curved room if necessary)

Whether the units can be jointed off-angle depends on the units. The ones where you have a corner unit on one side going back into the corner, and an ordinary unit on the other, can be wiggled, and if necessary the corner one going back can be cut down if the angle is less than 90.

The corner units where it's one unit which forms both sides of the corner are fixed angle.

4. MowdieWark

MowdieWark New Member

Thanks for both replies (although Nigel I'm presuming your spell checker is telling me to 'now die' :) )

As you say Owain, it's not actually a proper corner unit - its 2 separate units perpendicular to each with a void in the corner. But the main problem is that the angle of the corner of the wall is acute (less than 90deg), therefore to achieve a perfect right angle, I need the set the base units away from the wall near the corner so that at the other end (about 5m away) I can fit the base units against the wall. So are you saying that if I set all the base units against the walls and follow this acute angle, a worktop can be scribed to fit this angle? Is it an easy thing for a kitchen fitter to do? Or will he need special tools to do it?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If he is a kitchen fitter he will have the tools and experience to do this, it's very common.

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I have been fitting kitchens for 20 odd years. Still waiting for a room that is square and flat and level.

CGN likes this.
  7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Your installer will have no problems with 2deg. Even with a L shaped corner base you can just half the difference and fit thin fillers either side. Or re cut the carcass to the correct angle to show off your shiny new Festool track saw.

caveman bulider likes this.