Ladder Height

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Pinteater, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

When you look at an advertised ladder height - eg open length 3.5m - does this commonly mean this is the total physical height the ladder extends to - ie. not the Safe Working Height or does it relate to the SWH? I've got a job which is about 4m off the ground, so how long does my ladder need to be to work safely?

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Strictly speaking ladders are "access equipment" and should only be used as such (I know, I know) According to HSE ladders should only be used for working off after a risk assessment including the height and the length of time the job will take. If the job is going to take longer than 30 minutes then alternative arrangements should be made.
    Anyway, back to your question. To work at 4m high, you'll be looking at a ladder that reaches around 5m. (trust me you don't want to be standing on the top rung once it's fully extended )

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What's the job.

At that height, better to hire a small access tower, will give you a larger & stable work area.

4. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

OK cheers - but is the extra 1m a "guess" or are we talking rough ratios here - ie. 25% of the total height must be above the work?

5. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Knocking out 100mm for extract which I plan to do with hammer/cold chisel. It's on sloapy, very soft (poor drainage, no sun) grass.

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Hire a core bit etc and drill from inside? .

7. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Yeah, this was an option but as I'd still need to get up there to fix the grille and make good etc, and the customer is a bit wary of the dust etc, reckoned I'd need the ladder. Is there a 'rule of thumb' to having the right height - as posted earlier - eg 25% added to height of job above ground for the safe height of ladder use?

8. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Am going to drill with regular bits multiple holes from the inside to deal with most of the job

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And vacuum as you go.

Core bit a lot easier & neater.

Rulland likes this.
  10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That will be a real mess, a core will create a lot less dust and mess. Drill a pilot right through from inside to out. Securely fix the ladder in place and carefully start a core on the outside - just a few mm deep which will stop it breaking out. Then work from the inside - you will need an extension to do full depth.

Rulland and KIAB like this.
  11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Personally I would not want to be up 4m trying to core while standing on a ladder in soft grass.

The core drill, or in fairness hammer & chisel will need both hands. The drill might be slightly worse as you would probably have your body further away from the wall by the time you account for the size of the core & drill body.

While I'm no H&S fan, you do need to consider your own safety on jobs like this.

12. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Guys, thanks for all your comments, advice etc. What I was hoping to find out is whether or not there is any sort of 'rule of thumb' or whatever for what ladder height you should aim for to do a job. I realise this is not an exact question and the answer can never be absolute - what I didn't say in my original thread was that I need to buy a ladder for future work, this extractor is just a job I've got on now. I don't like working at height any more than the next guy and I wouldn't go higher than 4m (over a soft landing) or 3m otherwise. If I re-do my original question like this:

I am going to buy a ladder for work to max 4m above ground. It needs to be pref foldable or max two-part but preference is for foldable / telescopic /multi-function for ease of storage / security. What height would you recommend, leaving cost out of the equation for now?

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also if core drill jammed while drilling, highly likely you would be thrown off ladder, might be fatal, paraplegia, or just serious injuries.

Certianly wouldn't feel comfortable using a 4mtr telescopic ladder, as to cost a WORHAN 5.6 Meter Double Telescopic is about £160.

Buy a proper ladder, plus a chain & a good padlock for security, & wall bracket to secure it to.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

A 3m ladder will go about 5m nicely, and will get it in the back of a decent van.
    Anything less than 3m, steps.
    Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

If you are going to use a ladder then you will need to ensure the ladder is tied so it can't overbalance.

You need to wear a safety harness with a very short lanyard that is attached to the ladder to give fall prevention. Do not use a fall arrest as you will not be high enough for it to deploy correctly and will hit the ground hard.

The most appropriate and safest option is a tower scaffold and ideally you would really need to be PASMA trained.

Kind regards

16. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

OK so the client is slightly concerned about the effects of dust in his/hers house, but has no problem with you risking your life or limbs?? Core drills can kick jam or twist in a split second resulting in a big throw back for you.
    I'm no big fan of all the new elf and safety laws that have cropped up lately but wouldn't risk it myself.

17. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Cheers for your views and advice.

18. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Thanks all for your sage and wise views.

19. TP&N

TP&N Active Member