Laminate floor bounce.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Liam91910, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Liam91910

Liam91910 New Member

Hi. I've nearly completed a laminate floor install in my lounge. The problem I have is there seems to be a bit of bounce to the floor. The subfloor is perfectly level as it's a newish house.

I have used the xps foam panels instead of the fibreboards which I've used in the past. This was mainly due to the lounge being on the first floor as it's a townhouse and I thought that it would give it more sound deadening.

Is this anything to worry about. In my mind there shouldn't really be much movement at all. I know that the fibreboards don't compact as much as foam so should I start again using these? Cheers Liam

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I am assuming that you have allowed an expansion gap round the edge?

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

My dining room bounces like a trampoline yet my living room is solid, both using fibreboard underneath, the only difference is the flooring, the dining room is a thicker board, why that would make a difference I know not, but it has.???, other houses I've been around seen to bounce as well so I'm not to bothered by it.

4. Liam91910

Liam91910 New Member

Thanks for your replies. I took it back up and put the fibreboards down. Tbh it still bounces a bit but the sound deadening seems to have improved as they don't seem to compress as much. I have used a 9mm thick balterio laminate. I have previously used the same depth laminate and underlay on a concrete floor with very little movement. Maybe that's the price you pay for new builds and chipboard subfloors.

5. Liam91910

Liam91910 New Member

Yes 10mm All the way round

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

have you left gaps including in doorways and around pipes ??
    and are they empty without cork or other filler ??

how do you know the floor is perfectly level ??
    have you tried a long strait edge for gaps ??

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015