Laminate Sheets

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by gryphon, Jul 16, 2016.

1. gryphon

gryphon Member

Thanks for the concerns, i work in a heavily safety conscious industry so take H&S seriously. I have masks to hand and would be using them. What ever substance i use will be applied out doors as well.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How are you going to get your walls outside?

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Still agreeing with chippie on this. Knew a kitchen maker some years ago who used Evo Stik contact glue whilst trimming out the kitchen, the fumes were so overpowering that they ignited via the boiler pilot light and gutted all his hard work, kitchen and part of the house.....so take heed!o_O:eek::mad:

4. gryphon

gryphon Member

Listen, i'm not a joiner, i'm on here looking for some advice that's all. I would have thought the piece of laminate i need to attach to wall gets coated out side brought in and fixed to wall. Distance is only a couple of meters between yard and wall.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You have to coat both surfaces........laminate and wall.:confused:

6. gryphon

gryphon Member

Thanks

I'm to far down the road to change now whats your suggestion for an adhesive that will work but give me a bit of time to get sheet into position.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I do not know of any laminate glue that will provide the slip properties you require!

Thinking, how they say 'outside the box......maybe ..and only 'maybe' as a test piece would have to be experimented with first is to prime both the wall and laminate with a heavy duty pre mixed wallpaper paste let dry overnight then paste the wall really well and offer the laminate into position, this is only a suggestion that may or may not work.

8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Carpet tape is strong stuff. I reckon NoNails would work pretty well - long wiggly line all over.

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thought of carpet tape but the laminate will require to be completely stuck all over as to avoid air pockets as it will move about unless completely stuck to the wall.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My advice is don't do this.
    I am experienced with contact adhesive and laminate and I wouldn't do this, you are neither.
    There are glues out there that would give you a chance of succeding if you fancy spending £150

11. gryphon

gryphon Member

So you're suggesting i just throw away the couple of hundred pound spent on the laminate.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What I am suggesting is that you don't know what you are doing and if you try to do what you want to do, for whatever reason, it is likely to end in failure.
    I'm not having a go but you are clearly in over your head.
    A better approach might have been to come on here before, explain what you wanted to do and ask for advice before buying the laminate.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be honest gryphon I believe chippie is correct with his knowledgeable advice to you, I also have used gallons of contact adhesive and many laminate sheets stuck to 20mm thick MDF 8' X 4' sheets around 20 years ago and they were flat sheets in a workshop environment, edges trimmed with a router.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Nonails. Use a whole tube on each piece, all round near edges(to squish out) and criss-cross all over. Push tight to wall.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Idiot.

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Give a DIY solution then!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is no DIY solution.

18. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

To be fair having a go with some sort of gunned adhesive may be s good way of trying first.
    You can get contact adhesive in aerosol cans.
    Personally the plaster did not look that flat and at nearly 1mm thick there will be hollow areas.
    My first try would be with PVA. As long as it is not going to be a wetroom

19. gryphon

gryphon Member

A dry area. just room for a freezer, washing machine and access to a back yard.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How are you going to keep it clamped in place, over the bends, whilst the glue drys?