Landlords

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sparkielev, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

A landlord asked to go check his electrics mice had chewed quite a bit of his cable, he only wants me to repair the damaged cable on show, the problem is the damaged wiring is back of house and mice came in opposite end so there must be more damaged wiring, he not interested in me looking or testing wiring as the house is occupied and large family live there, will it make me responsible if I just do repair and something happens.

2. Sparkielev

I think it will as I'm aware of it

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The worst thing with chewed cables is they will often perfectly pass an insulation resistance test and just site there, bare, and ready to fester their evil.

4. Sparkielev

True so if I repair wiring I know about and am sure there must be more, were does it leave me I think I be responsible because I'm aware of it

5. Sparkielev

Told him it his responsibility to get test done but not interested

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Walk away then Pete!

7. Sparkielev

Yeah I will, he be first to pass buck if sh@# hit the fan

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

No reputable/decent sparky will just 'put a plaster on it', to many ramifications if it goes teats up-im sure the landlord will no doubt find a mate of a mate from the pub who does electrics to 'sort' it.
    At least you can hold your head high knowing that you've not lowered yourself to sub standard workmanship or ethics.

9. Sparkielev

The mice had chewed some pipe and wiring back end of house they must of done damage on way to it as they entered through front alarm bells went off straight away they chewed through some 2.5 1.5 right through to copper

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Charge him for the time you've spent investigating the problem, tell I'm what's required to remedy and a quote for doing it. Then the balls in his court and ya can sleep a peaceful sleep at night.
    No need to worry.

11. Sparkielev

Told him what needed to be done and there high chance there more chewed cables he just wanted me to repair wiring I knew about, I wasn't happy doing that, gonna tell him I'm not going back unless he gets it done properly.

longboat likes this.
  12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I can't understand the reasoning behind some landlords action's, it's their bloody house/investment at the end of the day.
    Why they so commonly have an attitude of ' I'm not spending money for their (the tenants) benefit' is beyond me!
    Charge him/her, put in a quote and forget about it.
    See what happens.

13. nffc

nffc Active Member

Sometimes your conscience pays more than an idiotic customer.

14. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

I would invoice him for the time spent onsite and (on the same invoice) recommend an inspection and test of the affected circuit. Tell him you are unable to rectify the fault unless you check that circuit and any bonding / earthing etc.
    Make the invoice is for an unusual amount and if he pays then you can prove you let him know.
    Sometimes it's better to walk away- it's your judgement call.
    What paperwork have you gave him yet?
    You need to explain you MUST check the whole circuit and test same- if he does not want to do this then it's your call
    It's better to have such dialouges in some form of writing- email is good- then you can prove who said what and if the manure hits the air conditioning you are covered
    This is precisely I have call recording in place (and a message telling people who call me I have call recording in place before the call is connected). This gets rid of these type of clients - as well as sales calls :D

15. David_B

David_B New Member

I lived on a farm, mice and especially rats would feast on the PVC on the elec cables so exposing bare live wires. The issue is, replacing the wiring with more T&E is just giving the rats more food. It needs something more substantial, basic choices are: steel conduit, MICC or Rent-To-Kill which is what we went for.

However in this situation, the wiring is the Landlord's responsibility. I would think there is a huge risk of, fire and other serious nasties. But it could be necessary to move out, alternative accommodation paid for by the Landlord whilst repairs are being conducted.

Hopefully I've not missed the point or dirifted off topic.

16. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Put your concerns in writing on headed paper. Landlords hate that and normally ask you to sort it then as they hate there being a paper trail!

17. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

They also like a paper trail because that is how they account for any paid work to come off the tax return.

18. Sparkielev

Phoned and told him I was unwilling to do any work on his house unless a full test was done thorough inspection am waiting for him to get back to me unlikely he will

19. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Good call.

Best off without it. At those gloomier times it'll crop up in the back of your mind. We're better off without things like that.

If he gets back and wants the work doing then that's a bonus... It does happen (rarely).