LAP Backboxes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Apr 28, 2017.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Afternoon guys. Was just wondering if any of you have used the LAP back boxes? Normally I use Appleby, however have never been 100% happy with the earth lugs on these and I note the the LAP boxes use a brass lug for the earth terminal, and they seem like the construction is substantial (metal thickness etc)

A link below for your perusal

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-installation-boxes-galvanised-steel-2-gang-35mm-pack-of-10/88287

Any comments greatly appreciated, thanks lads.

2. fire

fire Well-Known Member

These are the ones i use when i buy from Screwfix and yes they are good. They do the job well and the brass earth lug is pretty neat.

As for metal construction, they are not too special, they are pretty solid in all fairness. I had no problems with them, they work well as far as i am concerned.

The punch outs pop out easy with a good tap too so yea thumbs up for these back boxes.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Fire. Is it the same metal thickness as the Appleby particularly around the lug areas? Many years ago back box construction had thicker metal, and over the years they seem to be getting thinner and thinner.

4. fire

fire Well-Known Member

They are a bit thinner but are a bit more accurate in their construction as in tighter corner bends and such.

They are not the best or strongest back boxes i have seen, they do bend and flex a bit especially after you remove a punch out but this is the same for many new back boxes.
    The lugs are pretty solid to be fair but again i have seen better.

I just pulled one out my kit bag and put a vernier on the thickness, they are 1mm thick glav steel, you cant bend the lugs easy without hurting your fingers and the left lug which is hooked in has a punched retainer to stop the lug from ever falling out and is made from 1mm thick galv steel too. Punch outs are all flush with the rest of the box.
    You would need pliers for sure to bend and twist the lugs and or box. It is pretty tightly made.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks very much Fire for taking the time to do that. When I go to Screwfix I will check first before buying, and with your comments on them I can analyse them more thoroughly. All appreciated Fire.

fire likes this.
  6. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Some pix.

DSC_00661.JPG DSC_00651.JPG DSC_00571.JPG

Always better to go in store and pickup the item in your hand before you buy.

Sparkielev likes this.
  7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Fire I owe you a pint and a pie m8 - once again thanks for your time and they look substantial to me.

fire likes this.
  8. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

I think they are like the rest of the LAP stuff, cr*p. I bought six, three of them the earth terminal stripped, two of them the lugs came out, and one also stripped.
    I would never buy them again.
    Screwfix are getting like B&Q in that they are trying to push cheap stuff, which is ok for a DIY'er that is always trying to save money, but for a professional trying to do a good job so they don't have to go back and sort out problems due to faulty materials it's not good.
    I would rather pay more for better quality.
    I went to Screwfix today to get amongst other things a 20W rechargable LED worklight. I paid and waited for my things. When they brought them out the worklight turned out to be branded "DIAL" the same rubbish as B&Q. I got my money back straight away.

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Let's be honest back boxes are relatively cheap anyway, LAP stuff is TAT

KIAB likes this.
  10. fire

fire Well-Known Member

My opinion is if it works who cares. :p:D

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Always hard to veer away from what you are used to - I think I will stick with the Appleby boxes tbqh.

Sparkielev and fire like this.
  12. Sparkielev

My customers

fire likes this.
  13. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Good to see someone cares for their customers, that is becoming a rare trait to find in today's day.

Note we are still talking about a back box here mind lol. Are we going to source out stainless steel or hard chrome plated back boxes... just kidding, i have never seen any stainless steel back boxes but i am sure someone somewhere in the world makes them.

14. Sparkielev

I will always buy equipment of a good standard sometimes at my expense, buying cheap tat will only cause you grief in long run

KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Appleby nothing to better them.